Date:   Thu, 29 Nov 2018 15:06:17 +0100
From:   Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...e.dk>
To:     Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo.bianconi@...hat.com>
Cc:     Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
        Kalle Valo <kvalo@...eaurora.org>,
        linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, nbd@....name,
        Daniel Borkmann <borkmann@...earbox.net>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        "netdev\@vger.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/5] add XDP support to mt76x2e/mt76x0e drivers

Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo.bianconi@...hat.com> writes:

>> > Hi Jesper,

>> > yes correct, SoftMAC devices report 802.11 frames to the stack

>> > I guess it will be enough to avoid loading a 'non-WiFi' bpf program on
>> > a 802.11 netdevice (and vice versa). We could add a flag (or something
>> > similar) in XDP_SETUP_PROG section of netdev_bpf data structure and
>> > use ieee80211_ptr netdevice pointer in order to guarantee that the bpf
>> > program will work on the expected 'frame-type'
>>
>> Yeah, a flag would be good; we've been discussing that for other XDP use
>> cases; it's not a done deal yet, but I think it would be useful.
>
> Do you think something wifi specific is ok (e.g bool wifi) or do you prefer
> something more general (e.g u32 frame_type)?

My thought was a feature flag where the program can set a flag which
means "I expect 802.11 frames", and the driver can set a flag saying "I
emit 802.11 frames", and if those two flags don't match, the verifier
can refuse to load the program. This would not be fool-proof (an XDP
program can still corrupt things if written incorrectly), but it would
at least protect against the most obvious mistakes.

>> > 802.11 standards define three frame subtype (data, management and control).
>> > Subtypes could be detected parsing 802.11 header

>> > Very cool :) On tx side the driver will accept standard ethernet frames in
>> > ndo_xdp_xmit pointer
>>
>> How do you envision that will work with drivers that build software
>> 802.11 frames? The TX hook would have to be in mac80211 somewhere,
>> wouldn't it?
>
> In order to perform 802.3 --> 802.11 xdp forwarding my current idea is
> is to have ndo_xdp_xmit pointer in mac80211 that will forward the
> frame to the low-level driver (more or less what I did in the RFC
> series to upload the bpf program to mt76). We will probably need to
> pass some info to the driver from mac80211 (e.g sequence number or hw
> key idx to use)

So this means that the driver will need to do the 802.11 encapsulation?
I guess we could have a fallback implementation in mac80211; but there
is possibly quite a bit of refactoring needed to make the existing code
work without an skb. Also, we need to think about queueing; I'm not sure
it's a good idea to have redirected frames bypass the TXQs...

-Toke