Date:   Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:54:19 +0800
From:   Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>
To:     "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: thoughts stac/clac and get user for vhost

On 2019/1/7 下午1:42, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 12:26:51PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

>>> People do measure gains with a PMD on host+guest.
>>> So it's a question of optimizing the packed ring implementation in Linux.
>>
>> Well, 2%-3% difference is not quite a lot.
> People reported a 10% gain with tiny packets, others reported more.

Good to know this, any pointer. 2%-3% is the number I got from Jens'
cover letter.

> Again, packed ring is faster sometimes by a factor of 3x but
> virtio is just virtio, there's a lot going on besides
> just passing the buffer addresses guest to host,
> and a different ring layout won't help with that.
>

>> I think it's not hard to let split ring faster have some small optimizations
>> on the code itself.
>>
>> Thanks
> Speed up the split ring support in virtio pmd in dpdk? There have been
> several people working on that for a while now. It seems more likely
> that we can speed up the newer packed ring code.  E.g. things like
> prefetch have a much better chance to work will with the packed layout,
> with split one it was a wash IIRC.

But what happen when in order is implemented for packed ring?

I post a patch that increase 10% of PPS with less than 10 lines of code
for vhost (bypass the avail ring reading). I have similar patch for dpdk
but just don't have time to test it. Similar optimization could be
applied to used ring for TX easily.

Thanks