Date:   Fri, 22 Feb 2019 20:13:58 +0000
From:   "Ertman, David M" <david.m.ertman@...el.com>
To:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca>,
        "Saleem, Shiraz" <shiraz.saleem@...el.com>
CC:     "dledford@...hat.com" <dledford@...hat.com>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org" <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>,
        "Ismail, Mustafa" <mustafa.ismail@...el.com>,
        "Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        "Patil, Kiran" <kiran.patil@...el.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC v1 01/19] net/i40e: Add peer register/unregister to struct
 i40e_netdev_priv

I am assuming that the term PCI driver is being used to mean the PCI
subsystem in the kernel.  If this assumption is wrong, please disregard the next
paragraph, but the following points will still apply.

The bus that the irdma driver is registering with is a software (pseudo) bus
and not a hardware bus, and since this software bus is being defined by the LAN
driver, the bus does not exist until a LAN driver is loaded, up, and ready to receive
registration from the irdma peer.  The PCI driver does not have anything to with this
bus, and has no ability to perform the described functions.  The irdma driver cannot
register with the software bus unless it registers with the LAN driver that controls the
bus.  The LAN driver's register function will call "driver_register(&drv->driver)" for the
registering irdma driver.

Since the irdma driver is a consolidated driver (supports both ice and i40e LAN
drivers), we cannot guarantee that a given LAN driver will load before the irdma
driver.  Even if we use module dependencies to make irdma depend on (ice ||
i40e), we have to consider the situation where a machine will have both an ice
supported LAN device and an i40e supported LAN device in it.  In this case, the
load order could be (e.g.) i40e -> irdma -> ice.  The irdma driver can check all
present netdevs when it loads to find the one that has the correct function
pointers in it, but it will have no way of knowing that a new software bus was
created by the second LAN driver to load.

This is why irdma is listening for netdev notifiers, so that whenever a new netdev
appears from a LAN driver loading after irdma, the irdma driver can evaluate
whether the new netdev was created by a LAN driver supported by irdma driver.

If I have misunderstood your concerns, I apologize and look forward to clarification.

Thanks,
-Dave Ertman