Date:   Fri, 19 Apr 2019 07:25:01 +0200
From:   Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, mlxsw@...lanox.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next rfc 00/15] netdevsim: impement proper device
 model

Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 07:07:48PM CEST, jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 09:22:56 +0200, Jiri Pirko wrote:

>> >The difference is that today I can do this:
>> >
>> >create a netdevsim1 with shared dev 1
>> >create some state associated with shared dev 1
>> >create a netdevsim2 with shared dev 1
>> >check if all the shared dev 1 state created for netdevsim1 is visible
>> >	via netdevsim2
>>
>> Hmm, you are testing netdevsim implementation then, not the kernel
>> interfaces. What is the point of testing netdevsim?
>
>BPF offload tries to leave as much code as possible in the core, and
>make the drivers simple.  I'm testing whether the core reacts correctly,
>netdevsim just calls register/unregister.
>
>> >destroy netdevsim1
>> >check the shared dev 1 state again
>> >
>> >If I say "give me 2 ports" from the start, that makes the testing
>> >(which is the whole point of this code) harder.

>> >Sure, let's just be clear that we won't be merging an ABI that has just
>> >a netdevsim implementation, right?  I have some reservations about the
>>
>> So what do you suggest? Allow to somehow add and remove ports during
>> test? You can already do that with VFs. Do you want to do that with
>> netdevsim "physical" ports? If yes, how? I can imagine to extend devlink
>> port api with something like:
>>
>> $ sudo devlink dev
>> netdevsim/netdevsim0
>> $ sudo devlink port
>> netdevsim/netdevsim0/0: type eth netdev eth0 flavour physical
>>
>> $ sudo devlink dev port add netdevsim/netdevsim0 index 22
>> $ sudo devlink port
>> netdevsim/netdevsim0/0: type eth netdev eni0p1 flavour physical
>> netdevsim/netdevsim0/22: type eth netdev eni0p23 flavour physical
>>
>> $ sudo devlink port del netdevsim/netdevsim0/0
>> $ sudo devlink port
>> netdevsim/netdevsim0/22: type eth netdev eni0p23 flavour physical
>>
>> But I see only usecase for this extension for netdevsim, not for real
>> devices..
>
>Hm.. I'm getting lost, sorry, I'm probably confusing myself here..
>
>Netdevsim is supposed to test real, existing kernel interfaces and core
>code.  What we do today with linking based on netdevs is quite simple
>and works very well for the BPF offload tests.
>
>If you want to test some devlink code, that's also real, perfect.
>
>For BPF tests we want the ability to add and remove netdevs to a sdev
>during tests, yes.  That ability cannot be lost.

Yeah, but since the api is changing, the original approach of using
IFLA_LINK cannot be used anymore. Not to mention is is abuse of the API
from the very beginning. You want to add/del ports during lifetime, I'm
trying to find interface. Basically whe have two options:
1) devlink extension I suggested above
2) sysfs files to add/del ports. Similar to "new_device" and
   "del_device".

I like the idea of having 2) better, the reason is this is very speficic
to netdevsim and not really applicable on real devices.