Date:   Tue, 7 May 2019 14:22:14 -0700
From:   Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
To:     "Michael, Alice" <alice.michael@...el.com>
Cc:     "Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "nhorman@...hat.com" <nhorman@...hat.com>,
        "sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>,
        "Marczak, Piotr" <piotr.marczak@...el.com>,
        "Buchholz, Donald" <donald.buchholz@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next v2 11/11] i40e: Introduce recovery mode support

On Tue, 7 May 2019 18:51:02 +0000, Michael, Alice wrote:
> [...]

To be clear - the .set_eeprom calls are used to carry some marshalled
commands, not just the raw data to be written into flash?  Right?
Otherwise your tool wouldn't be necessary.

> > Let me repeat my other question - can the netdev you spawn in
> > i40e_init_recovery_mode() pass traffic?
>
> No, the device is not expected to pass traffic.  This mode is to
> allow the NVMUpdate to program the NVM.

Creating this fake netdev which can't pass traffic is quite bad, and
pointless given that devlink is capable of handling firmware updates.