Date:   Tue, 21 May 2019 16:47:58 +0100
From:   Lorenz Bauer <lmb@...udflare.com>
To:     Nitin Hande <nitin.hande@...il.com>
Cc:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        Joe Stringer <joe@...valent.com>,
        Networking <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, bpf@...r.kernel.org,
        Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@...com>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Fixing SK_REUSEPORT from sk_lookup_* helpers

On Fri, 17 May 2019 at 00:38, Nitin Hande <nitin.hande@...il.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 2:57 PM Alexei Starovoitov
> <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:

> > > Or len, which is only 16 bits realistically. The offset doesn't really fit into
> > > either of them very well, using flags seemed the cleanest to me.
> > > Is there some best practice around this?

> > > That would only work if it retained the contents of the skipped
> > > buffer, and if there
> > > was a way to undo the adjustment later. We're doing the sk_lookup to
> > > decide whether to
> > > accept or forward the packet, so at the point of the call we might still need
> > > that data. Is that feasible with skb / XDP ctx?
> >
> > While discussing the solution for reuseport I propose to use
> > progs/test_select_reuseport_kern.c as an example of realistic program.
> > It reads tcp/udp header directly via ctx->data or via bpf_skb_load_bytes()
> > including payload after the header.
> > It also uses bpf_skb_load_bytes_relative() to fetch IP.
> > I think if we're fixing the sk_lookup from XDP the above program
> > would need to work.
> >
> > And I think we can make it work by adding new requirement that
> > 'struct bpf_sock_tuple *' argument to bpf_sk_lookup_* must be
> > a pointer to the packet and not a pointer to bpf program stack.
> > Then helper can construct a fake skb and assign
> > fake_skb->data = &bpf_sock_tuple_arg.sport
> > It can check that struct bpf_sock_tuple * pointer is within 100-ish bytes
> > from xdp->data and within xdp->data_end
> > This way the reuseport program's assumption that ctx->data points to tcp/udp
> > will be preserved and it can access it all including payload.
> >
> > This approach doesn't need to mess with xdp_adjust_head and adjust uapi to pass length.
> > Existing progs/test_sk_lookup_kern.c will magically start working with XDP
> > even when reuseport prog is attached.
> > Thoughts?
>
> I like this approach. A fake_skb approach will normalize the bpf_sk_lookup_*()
> API peering into the kernel API between TC and XDP invocation. Just one question
> that comes, I remember one of the comments I received during my XDP commit
> was the stateless nature of XDP services and providing a fake_skb may bring
> some potential side-effects to the desire of statelessness. Is that
> still a possibility?
> How do we guard against it?

To follow up on this, I'm also not sure how to tackle a "fake skb". If
I remember this
came up during the flow dissector series, and wasn't met with
enthusiasm. Granted,
replacing the skb argument to the lookup functions seems even harder, so maybe
this is the lesser evil?

--
Lorenz Bauer  |  Systems Engineer
6th Floor, County Hall/The Riverside Building, SE1 7PB, UK

www.cloudflare.com