Date:   Fri, 16 Aug 2019 14:09:09 +0200
From:   Juliana Rodrigueiro <juliana.rodrigueiro@...ra2net.com>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     edumazet@...gle.com, hkallweit1@...il.com
Subject: r8169: Performance regression and latency instability

Greetings!

During migration from kernel 3.14 to 4.19, we noticed a regression on
the network performance. Under the exact same circumstances, the
standard deviation of the latency is more than double than before on the
Realtek RTL8111/8168B (10ec:8168) using the r8169 driver.

Kernel 3.14:
     # netperf -v 2 -P 0 -H <netserver-IP>,4 -I 99,5 -t omni -l 1 -- -O
STDDEV_LATENCY -m 64K -d Send
     313.37

Kernel 4.19:
     # netperf -v 2 -P 0 -H <netserver-IP>,4 -I 99,5 -t omni -l 1 -- -O
STDDEV_LATENCY -m 64K -d Send
     632.96

In contrast, we noticed small improvements in performance with other
non-Realtek network cards (igb, tg3). Which suggested a possible driver
related bug.

However after bisecting the code, I ended up with the following patch,
which was introduced in kernel 4.17 and modifies net/ipv4:

     commit 0a6b2a1dc2a2105f178255fe495eb914b09cb37a