Date:   Sun, 29 Sep 2019 08:55:01 +0200
From:   Zoran Stojsavljevic <zoran.stojsavljevic@...il.com>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: DSA driver kernel extension for dsa mv88e6190 switch

Hello Andrew,

I see dead people... Really i do! After your reply.

> This happens when the driver is missing a resource during probe.  It
> returns the error -EPROBE_DEFER, and the linux driver core will try
> the probe again later. Probably the second time all the resources it
> needs will be present and the probe will be successful.

Thank you for the explanation. It helps to understand better the logs.

> I will probably have a some patches during the next kernel merge cycle
> to make this a bit more efficient.

I am very interested on these patches. Please, keep me in the loop! Please.

> No, it is not an obstacle, but it is still wrong.

It is. Agree. This (DTS for the custom board) I'll fix Monday. It is Sunday...

> ip link set eth0 up
> ip link set lan0 up
> ip link set lan1 up
> ip link name br0 type bridge
> ip link set br0 up
> ip link lan0 master br0
> ip link lan1 master br0

Crucifix! I totally forgot to configure interfaces!!! This is why I do
NOT see pings, since rgmii management port 0 does NOT have phy
attached!!!

The whole thing MUST be configured as link layer (bridge), to work
properly on MAC/PHY layers. About STP (routing), this is not mandatory
now.

I am dumb old dog... Sorry, even dumber! I admit... Happens! :-(

I wrote my (very first) public GIST about that. Please, could you
review it, and point to the any logical bugs in there?
https://gist.github.com/ZoranStojsavljevic/423b96e2ca3bd581f7ce417cb410c465

Thank you many many times,
Zoran
_______