Date:   Fri, 22 Nov 2019 12:31:30 +0000
From:   Alexandru Marginean <alexandru.marginean@....com>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>
CC:     network dev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Grygorii Strashko <grygorii.strashko@...com>
Subject: binding for scanning a MDIO bus

Hi everyone,

I am looking for the proper binding to scan for a PHY on an MDIO bus
that's not a child of the Ethernet device but otherwise is associated
with it.  Scanning this bus should guarantee finding the correct PHY, if
one exists.  As far as I can tell current bindings don't allow such
association, although the code seems to support it.

The hardware that I'm using and could use such a binding is a NXP QDS
board with PHY cards.  In particular this is a LS1028A, but the problem
is common to the NXP QDS boards.  These cards wire MDIO up to the CPU
through a mux.  The mux practically selects one of the slots/cards so
the MDIO bus the PHY is on is private to the slot/card.
Each slot is also associated with an Ethernet interface, this is subject
to serdes configuration and specifically for that I'm looking to apply a
DT overlay.  Overlays are really impractical with the PHY cards though,
there are several types of cards, number of slots can go up to 8 or so
on some types of QDS boards and number of PHY card overlays that should
be defined would blow up.  The number of overlays users would need to
apply at boot would also go up to number of slots + 1.

The function of_mdiobus_register does scan for PHYs if 'reg' is missing
in PHY nodes, is this code considered obsolete, is it OK to use it if
needed but otherwise discouraged?  Any thoughts on including support for
scanning in the binding document, like making 'reg' property in phy
nodes optional?

For what is worth scanning is a good solution in some cases, better than
others anyway.  I'm sure it's not just people being too lazy to set up
'reg' that use this code.

Thank you!
Alex