Date:   Fri, 20 Dec 2019 11:11:25 +0100
From:   Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com>
To:     Prashant Bhole <prashantbhole.linux@...il.com>,
        Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@...hat.com>
Cc:     "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "Michael S . Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Jesper Dangaard Brouer <hawk@...nel.org>,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>,
        John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        Toshiaki Makita <toshiaki.makita1@...il.com>,
        Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@...com>,
        Song Liu <songliubraving@...com>, Yonghong Song <yhs@...com>,
        Andrii Nakryiko <andriin@...com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        Ilias Apalodimas <ilias.apalodimas@...aro.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 11/14] tun: run XDP program in tx path

Prashant Bhole <prashantbhole.linux@...il.com> writes:

> On 12/20/19 12:24 PM, Jason Wang wrote:
>>
>> On 2019/12/20 上午8:07, Prashant Bhole wrote:
>>> Note: Resending my last response. It was not delivered to netdev list
>>> due to some problem.

>>> This is nice from UAPI point of view. It may work for veth case but
>>> not for XDP offload with virtio-net. Please see the sequence when
>>> a user program in the guest wants to offload a program to tun.
>>>
>>> * User program wants to loads the program by setting offload flag and
>>>   ifindex:
>>>
>>> - map_offload_ops->alloc()
>>>   virtio-net sends map info to qemu and it creates map on the host.
>>> - prog_offload_ops->setup()
>>>   New callback just to have a copy of unmodified program. It contains
>>>   original map fds. We replace map fds with fds from the host side.
>>>   Check the program for unsupported helpers calls.
>>> - prog_offload_ops->finalize()
>>>   Send the program to qemu and it loads the program to the host.
>>>
>>> * User program calls bpf_set_link_xdp_fd()
>>>   virtio-net handles XDP_PROG_SETUP_HW by sending a request to qemu.
>>>   Qemu then attaches host side program fd to respective tun device by
>>>   calling bpf_set_link_xdp_fd()
>>>
>>> In above sequence there is no chance to use.
>>

>> For VM, I think what Toke meant is to consider virtio-net as a peer of
>> TAP and we can do something like the following in qemu:
>>
>> bpf_set_link_xdp_fd(ifindex(tap0), prog_fd, ATTACH_PEER);
>>
>> in this case. And the behavior of XDP_TX could be kept as if the XDP was
>> attached to the peer of TAP (actually a virtio-net inside the guest).
>
> I think he meant actually attaching the program to the peer. Most
> probably referring the use case I mentioned in the cover letter.
>
> "It can improve container networking where veth pair links the host and
> the container. Host can set ACL by setting tx path XDP to the veth
> iface."
>
> Toke, Can you please clarify?

Well, I was mostly talking about the UAPI. I.e., the ATTACH_PEER should
*behave as if* the XDP program ran on RX on the peer side. Whether it
actually just attaches on that side, or whether it is emulated like your
"run in TX path" patch does, I think would have to be context dependent.
For TAP/virtio_net, I think it would be pretty obvious that we should
just emulate it, like Jason said. For veth I'm not sure; there are some
gnarly details if we do actually move the attachment to the peer
interface when that peer is in a different namespace (a container
probably shouldn't be able to install an XDP program outside its
namespace, for instance). So either we could say we attach on the actual
peer if both interfaces are in the same namespace, and emulate
otherwise? IDK?

-Toke