Date:   Tue, 25 Feb 2020 09:57:21 -0800
From:   Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
To:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, nhorman@...driver.com,
        jhs@...atatu.com, xiyou.wangcong@...il.com, idosch@...lanox.com,
        mlxsw@...lanox.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next 10/10] selftests: netdevsim: Extend devlink
 trap test to include flow action cookie

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 08:46:03 +0100 Jiri Pirko wrote:
> >>  		devlink_trap_metadata_test $trap_name "input_port"
> >>  		check_err $? "Input port not reported as metadata of trap $trap_name"
> >> +		if [ $trap_name == "ingress_flow_action_drop" ] ||
> >> +		   [ $trap_name == "egress_flow_action_drop" ]; then
> >> +			devlink_trap_metadata_test $trap_name "flow_action_cookie"
> >> +			check_err $? "Flow action cookie not reported as metadata of trap $trap_name"
> >> +		fi
> >>  	done
> >>
> >>  	log_test "Trap metadata"
> >
> >Oh, this doesn't seem to check the contents of the trap at all, does it?
>
> No. This is not the test for the actual trapped packets. It is a test to
> list devlink traps and supported metadata.
>
> The packet trapping is done using dropmonitor which is currently
> not implemented in selftests, even for the existing traps. Not even for
> mlxsw. There is a plan to introduce these tests in the future, Ido is
> working on a tool to catch those packets to pcap using dropmon. I think
> he plans to send it to dropmon git soon. Then we can implement the
> selftests using it.

The extra 100 lines of code in netdevsim which is not used by selftests
does make me a little sad.. but okay, looking forward to fuller tests.
Those tests better make use of the variable cookie size, 'cause
otherwise we could have just stored the cookie on a u64 and avoided the
custom read/write functions all together ;)