Date:   Thu, 17 Sep 2020 15:31:10 -0500
From:   Thomas Falcon <tlfalcon@...ux.ibm.com>
To:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Cc:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        jiri@...dia.com
Subject: Re: Exposing device ACL setting through devlink

On 9/10/20 2:00 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 08:27:13PM CEST, tlfalcon@...ux.ibm.com wrote:
>>> I think Tom's use case is effectively exposing the the VF which VLANs
>>> and what MAC addrs it can use. Plus it's pvid. See:
>>>
>>> https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg679750.html
>> Thanks, Jakub,
>>
>> Right now, the use-case is to expose the allowed VLAN's and MAC addresses and
>> the VF's PVID. Other use-cases may be explored later on though.
> Who is configuring those?
>
> What does mean "allowed MAC address"? Does it mean a MAC address that VF
> can use to send packet as a source MAC?
>
> What does mean "allowed VLAN"? VF is sending vlan tagged frames and only
> some VIDs are allowed.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, this may be routine in the nic world. However I
> find the desc very vague. Please explain in details, then we can try to
> find fitting solution.
>
> Thanks!

These MAC or VLAN ACL settings are configured on the Power Hypervisor.

The rules for a VF can be to allow or deny all MAC addresses or VLAN
ID's or to allow a specified list of MAC address and VLAN ID's. The
interface allows or denies frames based on whether the ID in the VLAN
tag or the source MAC address is included in the list of allowed VLAN
ID's or MAC addresses specified during creation of the VF.

Thanks for your help,

Tom