Date:   Mon, 28 Sep 2020 15:04:10 +0200
From:   Alexander Dahl <ada@...rsis.com>
To:     linux-leds@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     Marek Behun <marek.behun@....cz>, netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Russell King <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
        Alexander Dahl <post@...pocky.de>
Subject: Re: Request for Comment: LED device naming for netdev LEDs

Hei Marek,

Am Sonntag, 27. September 2020, 02:52:58 CEST schrieb Marek Behun:
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 00:40:25 +0200
>
> Marek Behun <marek.behun@....cz> wrote:
> > What I am wondering is how should we select a name for the device part
> > of the LED for network devices, when network namespaces are enabled.
> >
> > a) We could just use the interface name (eth0:yellow:activity). The
> >
> >    problem is what should happen when the interface is renamed, or
> >    moved to another network namespace.
> >    Pavel doesn't want to complicate the LED subsystem with LED device
> >    renaming, nor, I think, with namespace mechanism. I, for my part, am
> >    not opposed to LED renaming, but do not know what should happen when
> >    the interface is moved to another namespace.
> >
> > b) We could use the device name, as in struct device *. But these names
> >
> >    are often too long and may contain characters that we do not want in
> >    LED name (':', or '/', for example).
> >
> > c) We could create a new naming mechanism, something like
> >
> >    device_pretty_name(dev), which some classes may implement somehow.
> >
> > What are your ideas about this problem?
> >
> > Marek
>
> BTW option b) and c) can be usable if we create a new utility, ledtool,
> to report infromation about LEDs and configure LEDs.
>
> In that case it does not matter if the LED is named
>   ethernet-adapter0:red:activity
> or
>   ethernet-phy0:red:activity
> because this new ledtool utility could just look deeper into sysfs to
> find out that the LED corresponds to eth0, whatever it name is.

I like the idea to have such a tool.  What do you have in mind?  Sounds for me
like it would be somehow similar to libgpiod with gpio* for GPIO devices or
like libevdev for input devices or like mtd-utils …

Especially a userspace library could be helpful to avoid reinventing the wheel
on userspace developer side?

Does anyone else know prior work for linux leds sysfs interface from
userspace?

Greets
Alex