Date:   Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:28:05 -0800
From:   Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
To:     Kenny Ho <y2kenny@...il.com>
Cc:     Kenny Ho <Kenny.Ho@....com>,
        Alexander Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@...com>,
        Song Liu <songliubraving@...com>, Yonghong Song <yhs@...com>,
        Andrii Nakryiko <andriin@...com>,
        John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        KP Singh <kpsingh@...omium.org>, bpf <bpf@...r.kernel.org>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux-Fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "open list:CONTROL GROUP (CGROUP)" <cgroups@...r.kernel.org>,
        Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@....com>,
        amd-gfx list <amd-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Add BPF_PROG_TYPE_CGROUP_IOCTL

On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 05:57:47PM -0500, Kenny Ho wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 4:04 PM Alexei Starovoitov
> <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 02:19:22PM -0500, Kenny Ho wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like either bpf_lsm needs to be made aware of cgv2 (which would
> > be a great thing to have regardless) or cgroup-bpf needs a drm/gpu specific hook.
> > I think generic ioctl hook is too broad for this use case.
> > I suspect drm/gpu internal state would be easier to access inside
> > bpf program if the hook is next to gpu/drm. At ioctl level there is 'file'.
> > It's probably too abstract for the things you want to do.
> > Like how VRAM/shader/etc can be accessed through file?
> > Probably possible through a bunch of lookups and dereferences, but
> > if the hook is custom to GPU that info is likely readily available.
> > Then such cgroup-bpf check would be suitable in execution paths where
> > ioctl-based hook would be too slow.
> Just to clarify, when you say drm specific hook, did you mean just a
> unique attach_type or a unique prog_type+attach_type combination?  (I
> am still a bit fuzzy on when a new prog type is needed vs a new attach
> type.  I think prog type is associated with a unique type of context
> that the bpf prog will get but I could be missing some nuances.)
>
> When I was thinking of doing an ioctl wide hook, the file would be the
> device file and the thinking was to have a helper function provided by
> device drivers to further disambiguate.  For our (AMD's) driver, we
> have a bunch of ioctls for set/get/create/destroy
> (https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdkfd/kfd_chardev.c#L1763)
> so the bpf prog can make the decision after the disambiguation.  For
> example, we have an ioctl called "kfd_ioctl_set_cu_mask."  You can

Thanks for the pointer.
That's one monster ioctl. So much copy_from_user.
BPF prog would need to be sleepable to able to examine the args in such depth.
After quick glance at the code I would put a new hook into
kfd_ioctl() right before
retcode = func(filep, process, kdata);
At this point kdata is already copied from user space
and usize, that is cmd specific, is known.
So bpf prog wouldn't need to copy that data again.
That will save one copy.
To drill into details of kfd_ioctl_set_cu_mask() the prog would
need to be sleepable to do second copy_from_user of cu_mask.
At least it's not that big.
Yes, the attachment point will be amd driver specific,
but the program doesn't need to be.
It can be generic tracing prog that is agumented to use BTF.
Something like writeable tracepoint with BTF support would do.
So on the bpf side there will be minimal amount of changes.
And in the driver you'll add one or few writeable tracepoints
and the result of the tracepoint will gate
retcode = func(filep, process, kdata);
call in kfd_ioctl().
The writeable tracepoint would need to be cgroup-bpf based.
So that's the only tricky part. BPF infra doesn't have
cgroup+tracepoint scheme. It's probably going to be useful
in other cases like this. See trace_nbd_send_request.