Date:   Wed, 25 Nov 2020 23:15:39 +0100
From:   Thomas Karlsson <thomas.karlsson@...eda.se>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
CC:     "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        <thomas.karlsson@...eda.se>
Subject: Re: Hardcoded multicast queue length in macvlan.c driver causes poor
 multicast receive performance

On 2020-11-25 19:07, Jakub Kicinski wrote:

>>> How about implementing .changelink in macvlan? That way you could
>>> modify the macvlan device independent of Docker?
>>>
>>> Make sure you only accept changes to the bc queue len if that's the
>>> only one you act on.
>>>

>> Hmm, I see. You mean that docker can create the interface and then I can
>> modify it afterwards? That might be a workaround but I just submitted
>> a patch (like seconds before your message) with the module_param() option
>> and this was very clean I think. both in how little code that needed to be
>> changed and in how simple it is to set the option in the target environment.
>>
>> This is my first time ever attemting a contribution to the kernel so
>> I'm quite happy to keep it simple like that too :)
>
> Module params are highly inflexible, we have a general policy not
> to accept them in the netdev world.

I see, although the current define seems even less flexible :)
Although, I might not have fully understood the .changelink you suggest.
Is it via the ip link set ... command? Or is there a way to set the parameters
in a more "raw" form that does not require a patch to iproute2 with parameter parsing,
error handing, man pages updates, etc. I feel that I'm getting in over my head here.

I appreciate your feedback!

> There should even be a check> in our patchwork which should fail here, but it appears that the patch
> did not apply in the first place:
>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/385b9b4c-25f5-b507-4e69-419883fa8043@paneda.se/
>
> Make sure you're developing on top of this tree:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git/

Right, thanks! It's a bit of a learning curve. I had incorrectly done the work on top of torvalds/linux