Date:   Tue, 8 Dec 2020 17:03:12 -0700
From:   David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>
To:     Wei Wang <weiwan@...gle.com>, stranche@...eaurora.org
Cc:     Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
        Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@...com>,
        Mahesh Bandewar <maheshb@...gle.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Subash Abhinov Kasiviswanathan <subashab@...eaurora.org>
Subject: Re: Refcount mismatch when unregistering netdevice from kernel

On 12/8/20 2:51 PM, Wei Wang wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 11:13 AM <stranche@...eaurora.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Wei and Eric,
>>
>> Thanks for the replies.
>>
>> This was reported to us on the 5.4.61 kernel during a customer
>> regression suite, so we don't have an exact reproducer unfortunately.
>>  From the trace logs we've added it seems like this is happening during
>> IPv6 transport mode XFRM data transfer and the device is unregistered in
>> the middle of it, but we've been unable to reproduce it ourselves..
>> We're open to trying out and sharing debug patches if needed though.
>>

> I double checked 5.4.61, and I didn't find any missing fixes in this
> area AFAICT.
>
>>> rt6_uncached_list_flush_dev() actually tries to replace the inet6_dev
>>> with loopback_dev, and release the reference to the previous inet6_dev
>>> by calling in6_dev_put(), which is actually doing the same thing as
>>> ip6_dst_ifdown(). I don't understand why you say " a reference to the
>>> inet6_dev is simply dropped".
>>
>> Fair. I was going off the semantics used by the dst_dev_put() function
>> which calls dst_ops->ifdown() explicitly. At least in the case of
>> xfrm6_dst_ifdown() this swap of the loopback device and putting the
>> refcount seems like it could be missing a few things.
>>

> Looking more into the xfrm code, I think the major difference between
> xfrm dst and non-xfrm dst is that, xfrm code creates a list of dst
> entries in one dst_entry linked by xfrm_dst_child().
> In xfrm_bundle_create(), which I believe is the main function to
> create xfrm dst bundles, it allocates the main dst entry and its
> children, and it calls xfrm_fill_dst() for each of them. So I think
> each dst in the list (including all the children) are added into the
> uncached_list.
> The difference between the current code in
> rt6_uncached_list_flush_dev() vs dst_ops->ifdown() is that, the
> current code only releases the refcnt to inet6_dev associated with the
> main dst, while xfrm6_dst_ifdown() tries to release inet6_dev
> associated with every dst linked by xfrm_dst_child(). However, since
> xfrm_bundle_create() anyway adds each child dst to the uncached list,
> I don't see how the current code could miss any refcnt.
> BTW, have you tried your previous proposed patch and confirmed it
> would fix the issue?
>
>>> The additional refcount to the DST is also released by doing the
>>> following:
>>>                         if (rt_dev == dev) {
>>>                                 rt->dst.dev = blackhole_netdev;
>>>                                 dev_hold(rt->dst.dev);
>>>                                 dev_put(rt_dev);
>>>                         }
>>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> That dev_put() is on the actual netdevice struct, not the inet6_dev
>> associated with it. We're seeing many calls to icmp6_dst_alloc() and
>> xfrm6_fill_dst() here, both of which seem to associate a reference to
>> the inet6_dev struct with the DST in addition to the standard dev_hold()
>> on the netdevice during the dst_alloc()/dst_init().

> [...]

Finally found the reference:

tools/testing/selftests/net/l2tp.sh at one point was triggering a
refcount leak:

https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20190801235421.8344-1-dsahern@kernel.org/

And then Colin found more problems with it:

https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/450f5abb-5fe8-158d-d267-4334e15f8e58@canonical.com/

running that on a 5.8 kernel on Ubuntu 20.10 did not trigger the
problem. Neither did Ubuntu 20.04 with 5.4.0-51-generic.

Can you run it on your 5.4 version and see?