Date:   Thu, 10 Dec 2020 18:12:24 -0700
From:   stranche@...eaurora.org
To:     David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>
Cc:     Wei Wang <weiwan@...gle.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
        Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@...com>,
        Mahesh Bandewar <maheshb@...gle.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Subash Abhinov Kasiviswanathan <subashab@...eaurora.org>
Subject: Re: Refcount mismatch when unregistering netdevice from kernel

>> BTW, have you tried your previous proposed patch and confirmed it
>> would fix the issue?

Yes, we shared this with the customer and the refcount mismatch still
occurred, so this doesn't seem sufficient either.

>> Could we further distinguish between dst added to the uncached list by
>> icmp6_dst_alloc() and xfrm6_fill_dst(), and confirm which ones are the
>> ones leaking reference?
>> I suspect it would be the xfrm ones, but I think it is worth
>> verifying.

After digging into the DST allocation/destroy a bit more, it seems that
there are some cases where the DST's refcount does not hit zero, causing
them to never be freed and release their references.
One case comes from here on the IPv6 packet output path (these DST
structs would hold references to both the inet6_dev and the netdevice)
ip6_pol_route_output+0x20/0x2c -> ip6_pol_route+0x1dc/0x34c ->
rt6_make_pcpu_route+0x18/0xf4 -> ip6_rt_pcpu_alloc+0xb4/0x19c

We also see two DSTs where they are stored as the xdst->rt entry on the
XFRM path that do not get released. One is allocated by the same path as
above, and the other like this
xfrm6_esp_err+0x7c/0xd4 -> esp6_err+0xc8/0x100 ->
ip6_update_pmtu+0xc8/0x100 -> __ip6_rt_update_pmtu+0x248/0x434 ->
ip6_rt_cache_alloc+0xa0/0x1dc

 From those alloc paths it seems like the problem might not be coming
from the uncached list after all.

> Finally found the reference:
>
> tools/testing/selftests/net/l2tp.sh at one point was triggering a
> refcount leak:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20190801235421.8344-1-dsahern@kernel.org/
>
> And then Colin found more problems with it:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/450f5abb-5fe8-158d-d267-4334e15f8e58@canonical.com/
>

> running that on a 5.8 kernel on Ubuntu 20.10 did not trigger the
> problem. Neither did Ubuntu 20.04 with 5.4.0-51-generic.
>
> Can you run it on your 5.4 version and see?

We let that run for two days on our setup and didn't see anything,
unfortunately.

Thanks,
Sean