Date:   Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:29:02 +0100
From:   Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
To:     Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo@...nel.org>
Cc:     bpf@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net,
        kuba@...nel.org, ast@...nel.org, daniel@...earbox.net,
        lorenzo.bianconi@...hat.com, toke@...hat.com,
        Freysteinn.Alfredsson@....se, brouer@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [RFC bpf-next] bpf: devmap: move drop error path to devmpap for
 XDP_REDIRECT

Typo in subject line for devmap.

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 15:18:14 +0100
Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo@...nel.org> wrote:

> Move XDP_REDIRECT error path handling from each XDP ethernet driver to
> devmap code. According to the new APIs, the driver running the
> ndo_xdp_xmit pointer, will break tx loop whenever the hw reports a tx
> error and it will just return to devmap caller the number of successfully
> transmitted frames. It will be devmap responsability to free dropped frames.

I think you should start with explaining the "why change".

Copy pasted from design doc[1]:
 [1] https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-project/blob/master/areas/core/redesign01_ndo_xdp_xmit.org#why-change

Why change: We want to change the current drop semantics, because it
will allow us to implement better queue overflow handling. This is
working towards the larger goal of a XDP TX queue-hook

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer