Date:   Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:42:41 +0300
From:   Nikolai Zhubr <zhubr.2@...il.com>
To:     Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...nel.org>
CC:     "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@...am.me.uk>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        the arch/x86 maintainers <x86@...nel.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>, Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
        "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Subject: Re: Realtek 8139 problem on 486.

21.06.2021 14:22, Arnd Bergmann:
[...]
> I looked some more through the git history and found at least one time
> that the per-chipset ELCR fixup came up for discussion[1], and this
> appears to have resulted in generalizing an ALI specific fixup into
> common code into common code[2], so we should already be doing
> exactly this in many cases. If Nikolai can boot the system with debugging
> enabled for arch/x86/pci/irq.c, we should be able to see exactly
> which code path is his in his case, and why it doesn't go through
> setting that register at the moment.

Here is my dmesg with debugging (hopefully) added to irq.c:

https://pastebin.com/tnC2rRDM

This is unmodified kernel, except for 8139too.c.
I've now realized maybe some usefull config option(s) related to pci irq
handling are not enabled because due to size considerations it was
initially configured as very minimalistic with just some really
necessary features enabled (although ACPI, PCI_BIOS, PCI, EISA, ISA are
enabled)

Just rechecked it again with the 8259A.pl script:

# 8259A.pl
irq 0: 00, edge
irq 1: 00, edge
irq 2: 00, edge