Date:   Thu, 28 Oct 2021 06:32:20 +0000
From:   "Machnikowski, Maciej" <maciej.machnikowski@...el.com>
To:     Ido Schimmel <idosch@...sch.org>
CC:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org" <intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org>,
        "richardcochran@...il.com" <richardcochran@...il.com>,
        "abyagowi@...com" <abyagowi@...com>,
        "Nguyen, Anthony L" <anthony.l.nguyen@...el.com>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "kuba@...nel.org" <kuba@...nel.org>,
        "linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org>,
        "mkubecek@...e.cz" <mkubecek@...e.cz>,
        "saeed@...nel.org" <saeed@...nel.org>,
        "michael.chan@...adcom.com" <michael.chan@...adcom.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC v5 net-next 0/5] Add RTNL interface for SyncE

Agreed. The reason to start with this approach is that it will be applicable
to some  devices in the future and we can easily fix that mapping later by
adding EEC/DPLL ID to the attributes.

> > > I think another reason to move to ethtool was that this stuff is
> > > completely specific to Ethernet and not applicable to all logical
> > > netdevs.
> >
> > That was an open in previous discussion. Wanted to first show the
> > full API to discuss where it fits. I believe all other networks (like SONET)
> > may also benefit from having it in the netdev, but am open for discussion.
>
> OK, didn't think about SONET. There is include/uapi/linux/sonet.h with a
> few SONET specific ioctls and a couple of drivers implementing them. The
> whole thing looks quite dead...
>
> ethtool still seems like a better option for something that has
> "Ethernet" in its name :)

For now we add it for SyncE, which indeed has the Ethernet in its name,
but I think the concept of recovering clock from the data stream is
common and applicable to other transport layers. I believe the same
API can be used in infiniband, fiber channel, xPON if they implement
PHYs supporting this capability. Hence if it's not a strong NO for putting
it in netdevs I'd rather keep it there to avoid challenges we found with
timing cards where we had to stretch the concept of Ethernet device
to use the APIs defined in the ethtool :)
Also the ITU-T recommendations G8261 and G.8262 are more generic
than just SyncE and they are applicable to any packet network.

Regards
Maciek