Date:   Wed, 8 Dec 2021 18:10:09 +0100
From:   Marek BehĂșn <kabel@...nel.org>
To:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
Cc:     Holger Brunck <holger.brunck@...achienergy.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Subject: Re: [v3 2/2] dsa: mv88e6xxx: make serdes SGMII/Fiber output
 amplitude configurable

On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 18:59:38 +0200
Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com> wrote:

> > > I don't have any specific concern here. It sounds reasonable for
> > > different data rates to require different transmitter configurations.
> > > Having separate "serdes-tx-amplitude-millivolt" and "serdes-tx-amplitude-modes"
> > > properties sounds okay, although I think a prefix with "-names" at the
> > > end is more canonical ("pinctrl-names", "clock-names", "reg-names" etc),
> > > so maybe "serdes-tx-amplitude-millivolt-names"?
> > > Maybe we could name the first element "default", and just the others
> > > would be named after a phy-mode. This way, if a specific TX amplitude is
> > > found in the device tree for the currently operating PHY mode, it can be
> > > used, otherwise the default (first) amplitude can be used.
> >
> > Yes, the pair
> >   serdes-tx-amplitude-millivolt
> >   serdes-tx-amplitude-millivolt-names
> > is the best.
> >
> > If the second is not defined, the first should contain only one value,
> > and that is used as default.
> >
> > If multiple values are defined, but "default" is not, the driver should
> > set default value as the default value of the corresponding register.
> >
> > The only remaining question is this: I need to implement this also for
> > comphy driver. In this case, the properties should be defined in the
> > comphy node, not in the MAC node. But the comphy also supports PCIe,
> > USB3 and SATA modes. We don't have strings for them. So this will need
> > to be extended in the future.
> >
> > But for now this proposal seems most legit. I think the properties
> > should be defined in common PHY bindings, and other bindings should
> > refer to them via $ref.
>
> I wouldn't $ref the tx-amplitude-millivolt-names from the phy-mode,
> because (a) not all phy-mode values are valid (think of parallel interfaces
> like rgmii) and (b) because sata, pcie, usb are also valid SERDES
> protocols as you point out. With the risk of a bit of duplication, I
> think I'd keep the SERDES protocol names a separate thing for the YAML
> validator.

Not what I meant. What I meant was that the tx-amplitude-millivolt*
properties should be defined in binding for common PHY (not network PHY)
  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/phy/phy-bindings.txt,
and then the mv88e6xxx binding should refer it's
tx-amplitude-millivolt* properties from there.

And the definition in common PHY binding should list all modes in an
enum, containing all network SerDes modes, plus the other modes like
PCIe, USB3, DisplayPort, LVDS, SATA, ...

Marek