Date:   Wed, 9 Mar 2022 15:45:31 +0100
From:   Erico Nunes <nunes.erico@...il.com>
To:     Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>
Cc:     Jerome Brunet <jbrunet@...libre.com>,
        Martin Blumenstingl <martin.blumenstingl@...glemail.com>,
        Alexandre Torgue <alexandre.torgue@...s.st.com>,
        Giuseppe Cavallaro <peppe.cavallaro@...com>,
        Jose Abreu <joabreu@...opsys.com>,
        Kevin Hilman <khilman@...libre.com>,
        Neil Armstrong <narmstrong@...libre.com>,
        linux-amlogic@...ts.infradead.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        "open list:ARM/Rockchip SoC..." <linux-rockchip@...ts.infradead.org>,
        linux-sunxi@...ts.linux.dev
Subject: Re: net: stmmac: dwmac-meson8b: interface sometimes does not come up
 at boot

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 1:56 PM Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com> wrote:
> You could try the following (quick and dirty) test patch that fully mimics
> the vendor driver as found here:
> https://github.com/khadas/linux/blob/buildroot-aml-4.9/drivers/amlogic/ethernet/phy/amlogic.c
>
> First apply
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net.git/commit/?id=a502a8f04097e038c3daa16c5202a9538116d563
> This patch is in the net tree currently and should show up in linux-next
> beginning of the week.
>
> On top please apply the following (it includes the test patch your working with).

I triggered test jobs with this configuration (latest mainline +
a502a8f0409 + test patch for vendor driver behaviour), and the results
are pretty much the same as with the previous test patch from this
thread only.
That is, I never got the issue with non-functional link up anymore,
but I get the (rare) issue with link not going up.
The reproducibility is still extremely low, in the >1% range.

So at this point, I'm not sure how much more effort to invest into
this. Given the rate is very low and the fallback is it will just
reset the link and proceed to work, I think the situation would
already be much better with the solution from that test patch being
merged. If you propose that as a patch separately, I'm happy to test
the final submitted patch again and provide feedback there. Or if
there is another solution to try, I can try with that too.

Thanks

Erico