Date:   Fri, 8 Apr 2022 11:50:54 -0700
From:   Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
To:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
        Nicolas Dichtel <nicolas.dichtel@...nd.com>
Subject: Re: What is the purpose of dev->gflags?

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:30:45 +0300 Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to understand why dev->gflags, which holds a mask of
> IFF_PROMISC | IFF_ALLMULTI, exists independently of dev->flags.
>
> I do see that __dev_change_flags() (called from the ioctl/rtnetlink/sysfs
> code paths) updates the IFF_PROMISC and IFF_ALLMULTI bits of
> dev->gflags, while the direct calls to dev_set_promiscuity()/
> dev_set_allmulti() don't.
>
> So at first I'd be tempted to say: IFF_PROMISC | IFF_ALLMULTI are
> exposed to user space when set in dev->gflags, hidden otherwise.
> This would be consistent with the implementation of dev_get_flags().
>
> [ side note: why is that even desirable? why does it matter who made an
>   interface promiscuous as long as it's promiscuous? ]

Isn't that just a mechanism to make sure user space gets one "refcount"
on PROMISC and ALLMULTI, while in-kernel calls are tracked individually
in dev->promiscuity? User space can request promisc while say bridge
already put ifc into promisc mode, in that case we want promisc to stay
up even if ifc is unbridged. But setting promisc from user space
multiple times has no effect, since clear with remove it. Does that
help?