Date:   Thu, 16 Jun 2022 17:16:12 -0700
From:   Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
To:     Ismael Luceno <iluceno@...e.de>
Cc:     "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
Subject: Re: Netlink NLM_F_DUMP_INTR flag lost

On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 17:10:16 +0200 Ismael Luceno wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 09:00:44 -0700
> Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 17:11:13 +0200 Ismael Luceno wrote:
> > > It seems a RTM_GETADDR request with AF_UNSPEC has a corner case
> > > where the NLM_F_DUMP_INTR flag is lost.
> > >
> > > After a change in an address table, if a packet has been fully
> > > filled just previous, and if the end of the table is found at the
> > > same time, then the next packet should be flagged, which works fine
> > > when it's NLMSG_DONE, but gets clobbered when another table is to
> > > be dumped next.
> >
> > Could you describe how it gets clobbered? You mean that prev_seq gets
> > updated somewhere without setting the flag or something overwrites
> > nlmsg_flags? Or we set _INTR on an empty skb which never ends up
> > getting sent? Or..
>
> It seems to me that in most functions, but specifically in the case of
> net/ipv4/devinet.c:in_dev_dump_addr or inet_netconf_dump_devconf,
> nl_dump_check_consistent is called after each address/attribute is
> dumped, meaning a hash table generation change happening just after it
> adds an entry, if it also causes it to find the end of the table,
> wouldn't be flagged.
>
> Adding an extra call at the end of all these functions should fix that,
> and spill the flag into the next packet, but would that be correct?

The whole _DUMP_INTR scheme does indeed seem to lack robustness.
The update side changes the atomic after the update, and the read
side validates it before. So there's plenty time for a race to happen.
But I'm not sure if that's what you mean or you see more issues.

> It seems this condition is flagged correctly when NLM_DONE is produced,
> I couldn't see why, but I'm guessing another call to
> nl_dump_check_consistent...
>
> Also, I noticed that in net/core/rtnetlink.c:rtnl_dump_all:
>
> 	if (idx > s_idx) {
> 		memset(&cb->args[0], 0, sizeof(cb->args));
> 		cb->prev_seq = 0;
> 		cb->seq = 0;
> 	}
> 	ret = dumpit(skb, cb);
>
> This also prevents it to be detect the condition when dumping the next
> table, but that seems desirable...

That's iterating over protocols, AFAICT, we don't guarantee consistency
across protocols.