Date:   Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:01:10 +0200
From:   Ismael Luceno <iluceno@...e.de>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
Cc:     "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
Subject: Re: Netlink NLM_F_DUMP_INTR flag lost

On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 17:16:12 -0700
Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 17:10:16 +0200 Ismael Luceno wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 09:00:44 -0700
> > Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org> wrote:

> > > Could you describe how it gets clobbered? You mean that prev_seq
> > > gets updated somewhere without setting the flag or something
> > > overwrites nlmsg_flags? Or we set _INTR on an empty skb which
> > > never ends up getting sent? Or..
> >
> > It seems to me that in most functions, but specifically in the case
> > of net/ipv4/devinet.c:in_dev_dump_addr or inet_netconf_dump_devconf,
> > nl_dump_check_consistent is called after each address/attribute is
> > dumped, meaning a hash table generation change happening just after
> > it adds an entry, if it also causes it to find the end of the table,
> > wouldn't be flagged.
> >
> > Adding an extra call at the end of all these functions should fix
> > that, and spill the flag into the next packet, but would that be
> > correct?
>
> The whole _DUMP_INTR scheme does indeed seem to lack robustness.
> The update side changes the atomic after the update, and the read
> side validates it before. So there's plenty time for a race to happen.
> But I'm not sure if that's what you mean or you see more issues.

No, I'm concerned that while in the dumping loop, the table might
change between iterations, and if this results in the loop not finding
more entries, because in most these functions there's no
consistency check after the loop, this will go undetected.

> > It seems this condition is flagged correctly when NLM_DONE is
> > produced, I couldn't see why, but I'm guessing another call to
> > nl_dump_check_consistent...
> >
> > Also, I noticed that in net/core/rtnetlink.c:rtnl_dump_all:
> >
> > 	if (idx > s_idx) {
> > 		memset(&cb->args[0], 0, sizeof(cb->args));
> > 		cb->prev_seq = 0;
> > 		cb->seq = 0;
> > 	}
> > 	ret = dumpit(skb, cb);
> >
> > This also prevents it to be detect the condition when dumping the
> > next table, but that seems desirable...
>
> That's iterating over protocols, AFAICT, we don't guarantee
> consistency across protocols.

That's reasonable, I was just wondering about it because it does seem
reasonable that the flags affect only the packets describing the table
whose dump got interrupted...

--
Ismael Luceno
SUSE L3 Support