Date:   Thu, 28 Jul 2022 19:34:45 +0200
From:   Gilles BULOZ <gilles.buloz@...tron.com>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Marvell 88E1512 PHY LED2 mode mismatch with Elkhartlake pin mode

Thanks Andrew for the explainations.

Having a look to the Intel ElkhartLake CRB schematics, the three 88E1512 have their LED2/INT# pin connected to the Elkhartlake so It
seems this board is using architecture 1)
I'm currious to see if booting this CRB with a Fedora 36 would give the same issue than the one I have on my custom board based on
the CRB : PHY in POLL mode with LED2/INT# set to link/activity by marvell.ko, but Elkhartlake pin with interrupt enabled, leading to
a spurious power-on on link activity when in off state (S5)
I'm going to ask Intel support for the status on the CRB or try to get a CRB to test by myself.

Today, I discovered that if I blacklist or remove marvell.ko, a generic PHY driver is used instead (phy-generic.ko). This driver
seems to keep the state of the LED2/INT# pin set by the BIOS that is "link up". So I n this case I get a spurious power-on when the
link goes down then up.
Regardless of the PHY driver, shutting down the interface with "ifconfig <ethname> down" before shutting down the system is a
working workaround (no toggle on LED2/INT# so no spurious power on)

Gilles