Date:   Mon, 3 Oct 2022 11:04:08 -0700
From:   Jacob Keller <jacob.e.keller@...el.com>
To:     "Russell King (Oracle)" <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
CC:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
        Michael Walle <michael@...le.cc>,
        Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>,
        <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: PHY firmware update method

On 10/3/2022 5:18 AM, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 07:45:46AM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
>> Actually maybe there's something in DMTF, does PLDM have standard image
>> format? Adding Jake. Not sure if PHYs would use it tho :S
>
> DMTF? PLDM?

Jakub already linked to the standard we were referring to, but for
clarification:

DMTF refers to the group which was the Distributed Management Task
Force, and describes themselves as:

DMTF (formerly known as the Distributed Management Task Force) creates
open manageability standards spanning diverse emerging and traditional
IT infrastructures including cloud, virtualization, network, servers and
storage. Member companies and alliance partners worldwide collaborate on
standards to improve the interoperable management of information
technologies.

PLDM refers to "PLDM - Platform Level Data Model Including Firmware
Update, Redfish Device Enablement (RDE)"

The "PLDM for Firmware Update" is a standard which describes a file
format and associated specifications for how to interpret that file when
performing an update.

I implemented lib/pldmfw.c which is use in the ice driver as a way to
read the binary file to extract information about where each component
of firmware is in the binary, which could then be written to the device
to perform an update.