Date:   Thu, 10 Nov 2022 17:39:00 -0800
From:   Martin KaFai Lau <martin.lau@...ux.dev>
To:     Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com>
Cc:     Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@...gle.com>, ast@...nel.org,
        daniel@...earbox.net, andrii@...nel.org, song@...nel.org,
        yhs@...com, john.fastabend@...il.com, kpsingh@...nel.org,
        haoluo@...gle.com, jolsa@...nel.org,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Willem de Bruijn <willemb@...gle.com>,
        Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
        Anatoly Burakov <anatoly.burakov@...el.com>,
        Alexander Lobakin <alexandr.lobakin@...el.com>,
        Magnus Karlsson <magnus.karlsson@...il.com>,
        Maryam Tahhan <mtahhan@...hat.com>, xdp-hints@...-project.net,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, bpf@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [xdp-hints] Re: [RFC bpf-next v2 06/14] xdp: Carry over xdp
 metadata into skb context

On 11/10/22 3:29 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>>> For the metadata consumed by the stack right now it's a bit
>>> hypothetical, yeah. However, there's a bunch of metadata commonly
>>> supported by hardware that the stack currently doesn't consume and that
>>> hopefully this feature will end up making more accessible. My hope is
>>> that the stack can also learn how to use this in the future, in which
>>> case we may run out of space. So I think of that bit mostly as
>>> future-proofing...
>>
>> ic. in this case, Can the btf_id be added to 'struct xdp_to_skb_metadata' later
>> if it is indeed needed?  The 'struct xdp_to_skb_metadata' is not in UAPI and
>> doing it with CO-RE is to give us flexibility to make this kind of changes in
>> the future.
>
> My worry is mostly that it'll be more painful to add it later than just
> including it from the start, mostly because of AF_XDP users. But if we
> do the randomisation thing (thus forcing AF_XDP users to deal with the
> dynamic layout as well), it should be possible to add it later, and I
> can live with that option as well...

imo, considering we are trying to optimize unnecessary field initialization as
below, it is sort of wasteful to always initialize the btf_id with the same
value.  It is better to add it in the future when there is a need.

>>> Yeah, exactly!

>>> The problem with that is that then we have to spend cycles writing
>>> eight bytes of zeroes into the checksum field :)
>>
>> With a common 'struct xdp_to_skb_metadata', I am not sure how some of these zero
>> writes can be avoided.  If the xdp prog wants to optimize, it can call
>> individual kfunc to get individual hints.
>
> Erm, we just... don't write those fields? Something like:
>
> void write_skb_meta(hw, ctx) {
>    struct xdp_skb_metadata meta = ctx->data_meta - sizeof(struct xdp_skb_metadata);
>    meta->valid_fields = 0;
>
>    if (hw_has_timestamp) {
>      meta->timestamp = hw->timestamp;
>      meta->valid_fields |= FIELD_TIMESTAMP;
>    } /* otherwise meta->timestamp is just uninitialised */
>
>    if (hw_has_rxhash) {
>      meta->rxhash = hw->rxhash;
>      meta->valid_fields |= FIELD_RXHASH;
>    } /* otherwise meta->rxhash is just uninitialised */
>    ...etc...
> }

Ah, got it.  Make sense.  My mind was stalled in the paradigm that a helper that
needs to initialize the result.