Date:   Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:36:20 +0200
From:   Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@...hat.com>
To:     Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo@...nel.org>,
        Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@...hat.com>
Cc:     brouer@...hat.com, Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        hawk@...nel.org, ilias.apalodimas@...aro.org, davem@...emloft.net,
        pabeni@...hat.com, bpf@...r.kernel.org,
        lorenzo.bianconi@...hat.com, nbd@....name,
        Toke Hoiland Jorgensen <toke@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: issue with inflight pages from page_pool

On 19/04/2023 16.21, Lorenzo Bianconi wrote:

>> On 19/04/2023 14.09, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>>> On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 1:08 PM Jesper Dangaard Brouer

>>> I think I just considered having a few skbs in per-cpu list would not
>>> be an issue,
>>> especially considering skbs can sit hours in tcp receive queues.
>>>

>> It was the first thing I said to Lorenzo when he first reported the
>> problem to me (over chat): It is likely packets sitting in a TCP queue.
>> Then I instructed him to look at output from netstat to see queues and
>> look for TIME-WAIT, FIN-WAIT etc.
>>

>>> Do we expect hacing some kind of callback/shrinker to instruct TCP or
>>> pipes to release all pages that prevent
>>> a page_pool to be freed ?
>>>

>> This is *not* what I'm asking for.
>>
>> With TCP sockets (pipes etc) we can take care of closing the sockets
>> (and programs etc) to free up the SKBs (and perhaps wait for timeouts)
>> to make sure the page_pool shutdown doesn't hang.
>>
>> The problem arise for all the selftests that uses veth and bpf_test_run
>> (using bpf_test_run_xdp_live / xdp_test_run_setup).  For the selftests
>> we obviously take care of closing sockets and removing veth interfaces
>> again.  Problem: The defer_list corner-case isn't under our control.
>>

>>> Here, we are talking of hundreds of thousands of skbs, compared to at
>>> most 32 skbs per cpu.
>>>

>> It is not a memory usage concern.
>>
>>> Perhaps sets sysctl_skb_defer_max to zero by default, so that admins
>>> can opt-in
>>>

>> I really like the sd->defer_list system and I think is should be enabled
>> by default.  Even if disabled by default, we still need to handle these
>> corner cases, as the selftests shouldn't start to cause-issues when this
>> gets enabled.
>>
>> The simple solution is: (1) When netdevice/NAPI unregister happens call
>> defer_list flushing helper.  And perhaps we also need to call it in
>> xdp_test_run_teardown().  How do you feel about that?
>>
>> --Jesper
>>

> Today I was discussing with Toke about this issue, and we were wondering,
> if we just consider the page_pool use-case, what about moving the real pool
> destroying steps when we return a page to the pool in page_pool_put_full_page()
> if the pool has marked to be destroyed and there are no inflight pages instead
> of assuming we have all the pages in the pool when we run page_pool_destroy()?

It sounds like you want to add a runtime check to the fast-path to
handle these corner cases?

For performance reason we should not call page_pool_inflight() check in
fast-path, please!

Details: You hopefully mean running/calling page_pool_release(pool) and
not page_pool_destroy().

I'm not totally against the idea, as long as someone is willing to do
extensive benchmarking that it doesn't affect fast-path performance.
Given we already read pool->p.flags in fast-path, it might be possible
to hide the extra branch (in the CPU pipeline).

> Maybe this means just get rid of the warn in page_pool_release_retry() :)

Sure, we can remove the print statement, but it feels like closing our
eyes and ignoring the problem.  We can remove the print statement, and
still debug the problem, as I have added tracepoints (to debug this).
But users will not report these issue early... on the other hand most of
these reports will likely be false-positives.

This reminds me that Jakub's recent defer patches returning pages
'directly' to the page_pool alloc-cache, will actually result in this
kind of bug.  This is because page_pool_destroy() assumes that pages
cannot be returned to alloc-cache, as driver will have "disconnected" RX
side.  We need to address this bug separately.  Lorenzo you didn't
happen to use a kernel with Jakub's patches included, do you?

--Jesper