Date:   Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:38:17 +0300
From:   Kalle Valo <kvalo@...nel.org>
To:     Ping-Ke Shih <pkshih@...ltek.com>
Cc:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        "netdev\@vger.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-wireless\@vger.kernel.org" <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: pull-request: wireless-next-2023-04-21

Ping-Ke Shih <pkshih@...ltek.com> writes:

> [...]

IIRC we discussed this back in initial rtw88 or rtw89 driver review (not
sure which one). At the time I pushed for the current solution to have
the initvals in static variables just to avoid any backwards
compatibility issues. I agree that the initvals in .c files are ugly but
is it worth all the extra effort and complexity to move them outside the
kernel? I'm starting to lean towards it's not worth all the extra work.

For me most important is that backwards compatibility is not broken,
that would be bad for the users. So whatever we decide let's keep that
in mind.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches