Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:45:53 -0700
From: Jay Vosburgh <jay.vosburgh@...onical.com>
To: Hangbin Liu <liuhangbin@...il.com>
cc: netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Discuss] IPv4 packets lost with macvlan over bond alb

Hangbin Liu <liuhangbin@...il.com> wrote:

>Hi Jay, any thoughts?

	Just an update that I've done some poking with your reproducer;
as described, the ARP reply for the IP address associated with the
macvlan interface is coming back with the bond's MAC, not the MAC of the
macvlan.  If I manually create a neighbour entry on the client with the
corrent IP and MAC for the macvlan, then connectivity works as expected.

	I'll have to look a bit further into the ARP MAC selection logic
here (i.e., where does that MAC come from when the ARP reply is
generated).  It also makes me wonder what's special about macvlan, e.g.,
why doesn't regular VLAN (or other stacked devices) fail in the same way
(or maybe it does and nobody has noticed).

	-J

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, jay.vosburgh@...onical.com