Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 21:51:37 +0200
From: Oliver Hartkopp <socketcan@...tkopp.net>
To: Lukas Magel <lukas.magel@...teo.net>, Michal Sojka
 <michal.sojka@...t.cz>, Maxime Jayat <maxime.jayat@...ile-devices.fr>,
 Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@...gutronix.de>
Cc: linux-can@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
 linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, "Dae R. Jeong" <threeearcat@...il.com>,
 Hillf Danton <hdanton@...a.com>
Subject: Re: can: isotp: epoll breaks isotp_sendmsg

Hi Lukas,

On 18.08.23 13:53, Lukas Magel wrote:
> On 13.08.23 13:23, Lukas Magel wrote:
>> Hi Maxime, hi Michal,
>>
>> On 01.07.23 00:35, Michal Sojka wrote:
>>> Hi Maxime,

>>> That's definitely not expected behavior. I tested the patch only with
>>> poll, hoping that epoll would behave the same.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> I am writing to report that we have been witnessing a behavior very similar
>> to what you describe. ISO-TP send breaks with EAGAIN if a poll (for a read)
>> occurs at the same time.
>>
>> Our Python stack uses two threads to do concurrent, blocking reads & writes
>> from and to the ISO-TP socket. The socket has a timeout of 0.1s to facilitate
>> shutdown when requested by the application. Notably, the blocking semantics
>> are handled by CPython, i.e. the underlying kernel socket is non-blocking.
>> CPython polls until the requested operation (read or write) can be executed
>> or the timeout occurs.
>>
>> What happens during execution is that the socket is continuously being
>> polled by the read thread, i.e. so->wait is always filled with one task.
>> This process repeats until the socket receives a frame from the bus and the
>> poll returns successsfully. The app reads the data from the socket and
>> sends a response. Since the send occurs in a different thread, the reader
>> thread will have already returned to its poll loop and to populating
>> so->wait. When the send occurs, isotp_sendmsg checks so->wait for sleepers
>> and returns EAGAIN because the socket is non-blocking although there is no
>> concurrent send operation. This dance continues until the timeout occurs for
>> either the read or the write operation. If the write times out first, a
>> timeout error causes the Python app to break. If the read times out first,
>> there is a race that the write goes through or the reader puts in
>> another poll.
>>
>> This behavior can be seen rather nicely in strace:
>> 110580 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN}], 1, 100) = 0 (Timeout)
>> 110580 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN}], 1, 100) = 0 (Timeout)
>> 110580 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN}], 1, 100) = 1 ([{fd=5, revents=POLLIN}])
>> 110580 recvfrom(5, ">\0", 4095, 0, NULL, NULL) = 2
>> 110580 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN}], 1, 100 <unfinished ...>
>> 110569 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLOUT}], 1, 100) = 1 ([{fd=5, revents=POLLOUT}])
>> 110569 sendto(5, "~\0", 2, 0, NULL, 0)  = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
>> 110569 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLOUT}], 1, 100) = 1 ([{fd=5, revents=POLLOUT}])
>> 110569 sendto(5, "~\0", 2, 0, NULL, 0)  = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
>> 110569 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLOUT}], 1, 100) = 1 ([{fd=5, revents=POLLOUT}])
>> 110569 sendto(5, "~\0", 2, 0, NULL, 0)  = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
>> [....]
>> 110569 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLOUT}], 1, 6) = 1 ([{fd=5, revents=POLLOUT}])
>> 110569 sendto(5, "~\0", 2, 0, NULL, 0)  = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
> [...]

The code has really won with your change! Thanks!

But as you already assumed I have a problem with the handling of the
cleanup when a signal interrupts the wait_event_interruptible() statement.

I think it should still be:

/* wait for complete transmission of current pdu */
err = wait_event_interruptible(so->wait, so->tx.state == ISOTP_IDLE);
if (err)
         goto err_event_drop;

as we need to make sure that the state machine is set to defined values
and states for the next isotp_sendmsg() attempt.

Best regards,
Oliver