Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 17:46:28 +0200
From: Christian Theune <ct@...ingcircus.io>
To: Pedro Tammela <pctammela@...atatu.com>
Cc: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
 markovicbudimir@...il.com,
 stable@...r.kernel.org,
 netdev@...r.kernel.org,
 davem@...emloft.net,
 edumazet@...gle.com,
 pabeni@...hat.com,
 Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] Userland interface breaks due to hard HFSC_FSC
 requirement

Hi,

> On 9. Oct 2023, at 17:31, Pedro Tammela <pctammela@...atatu.com> wrote:
>
> We had a UAF with a very straight forward way to trigger it.
> Setting 'rt' as a parent is incorrect and the man page is explicit about it as it doesn't make sense 'qdisc wise'. Being able to set it has always been wrong unfortunately...

Well - this is a complex thing and even though I took care when setting it up I did not find this in the manpages sufficiently highlighted and built such a system: this has been running for more than a year, it did what I wanted AFAICT and upgrading a micro version broke it catastrophically.

The argument that this never should have been built, feels a bit like “this has been written for 50 years in the basement of the office for planetary destruction on Alpha Centauri and earthlings had more than enough time to come and complain” … ;)

Hugs,
Christian

--
Christian Theune · ct@...ingcircus.io · +49 345 219401 0