Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2024 16:05:52 -0400
From: Olivier Langlois <olivier@...llion01.com>
To: io-uring@...r.kernel.org
Cc: netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: io_uring NAPI busy poll RCU is causing 50 context switches/second
 to my sqpoll thread

if you are interested into all the details,

they are all here:
https://github.com/axboe/liburing/issues/1190

it seems like I like to write a lot when I am investigating a problem.
Pavel has been a great help in assisting me understanding what was
happening.

Next, I came to question where the integration of RCU came from and I
have found this:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/89ef84bf-48c2-594c-cc9c-f796adcab5e8@kernel.dk/

I guess that in some use-case being able to dynamically manage hundreds
of NAPI devices automatically that can suddenly all be swepted over
during a device reconfiguration is something desirable to have for
some...

but in my case, this is an excessively a high price to pay for a
flexibility that I do not need at all.

I have a single NAPI device. Once I know what it is, it will pratically
remain immutable until termination.

For that reason, I am thinking that offering some sort of polymorphic
NAPI device tracking strategy customization would be desirable.

The current one, the RCU one, I would call it the

dynamic_napi_tracking (rcu could be peppered in the name somewhere so
people know what the strategy is up to)

where as the new one that I am imagining would be called

static_napi_tracking.

NAPI devices would be added/removed by the user manually through an
extended registration function.

for the sake of conveniance, a clear_list operation could even be
offered.

The benefits of this new static tracking strategy would be numerous:
- this removes the need to invoke the heavy duty RCU cavalry
- no need to scan the list to remove stall devices
- no need to search the list at each SQE submission to update the
device timeout value

So is this a good idea in your opinion?