Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2024 10:02:20 +0300
From: "Lifshits, Vitaly" <vitaly.lifshits@...el.com>
To: Jesper Juhl <jesperjuhl76@...il.com>, Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
CC: <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, Eric Dumazet
	<edumazet@...gle.com>, Tony Nguyen <anthony.l.nguyen@...el.com>, "Przemek
 Kitszel" <przemyslaw.kitszel@...el.com>, <intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org>,
	Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>, "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: [Intel-wired-lan] igc: Network failure, reboot required: igc:
 Failed to read reg 0xc030!

On 9/12/2024 10:45 PM, Jesper Juhl wrote:
>> Would you be able to decode the stack trace? It may be helpful
>> to figure out which line of code this is:
>>
>>   igc_update_stats+0x8a/0x6d0 [igc
>> 22e0a697bfd5a86bd5c20d279bfffd
>> 131de6bb32]
>
> Of course. Just tell me what to do.
>
> - Jesper
>
> On Thu, 12 Sept 2024 at 17:37, Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2024 15:03:14 +0200 Jesper Juhl wrote:
>>> It just happened again.
>>> Same error message, but different stacktrace:
>>
>> Hm, I wonder if it's power management related or the device just goes
>> sideways for other reasons. The crashes are in accessing statistics
>> and the relevant function doesn't resume the device. But then again,
>> it could just be that stats reading is the most common control path
>> operation.
>>
>> Hopefully the Intel team can help.
>>
>> Would you be able to decode the stack trace? It may be helpful
>> to figure out which line of code this is:
>>
>>    igc_update_stats+0x8a/0x6d0 [igc
>> 22e0a697bfd5a86bd5c20d279bfffd131de6bb32]

Hi Jasper,

I agree with Kuba that it might be related to power management, and I
wonder if it can be related to PTM.
Anyway, can you please share the following information?

1. Is runtime D3 enabled? (you can check the value in
/sys/devices/pci:(pci SBDF)/power/control)
2. What is the NVM version that your NIC has? (ethtool -i eno1)
3. Can you please elaborate on you bug?
Does it happen while the system is in idle state? Does it run any
traffic? What is the system's link partner (switch? other NIC?)