Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 07:57:24 +0200
From: Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>
To: "Muggeridge, Matt" <matt.muggeridge2@....com>,
Subject: Re: Submitted a patch, got error "Patch does not apply to net-next-0"

On 19.09.2024 04:23, Muggeridge, Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First time submitter and it seems I did something wrong, as I got the error "Patch does not apply to net-next-0". I suspected it was complaining about a missing end-of-line, so I resubmitted and get the error "Patch does not apply to net-next-1". So now I'm unsure how to correct this.
>
> My patch is: Netlink flag for creating IPv6 Default Routes (https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/SJ0PR84MB2088B1B93C75A4AAC5B90490D8632@SJ0PR84MB2088.NAMPRD84.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM/).
>
> I followed the instructions at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.12/networking/netdev-FAQ.html.
>
> Here's my local repo:
>
> $ git remote -v
> origin  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git (fetch)
> origin  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git (push)
>
> After committing my changes, I ran:
>
> $ git format-patch --subject-prefix='PATCH net-next' -1 95c6e5c898d3
>
> It produced the file "0001-Netlink-flag-for-creating-IPv6-Default-Routes.patch".  I emailed the contents of that file to this list.
>
> How do I correct this?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt.

There's few issues with your submission:
- net-next is closed currently. There's a section in the FAQ explaining when and why it's closed.
- Please only one version of a patch per day
- Your commit message states that the patch fixes something. So you should add a Fixes tag.
  If applicable also cc the patch to stable.
  https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/process/stable-kernel-rules.rst
- If the fixed change isn't in net-next only, your patch should be based on and tagged "net".
- Patch title should be prefixed ipv6 or net/ipv6. Not sure which is preferred, both are common.
  See change history of net/ipv6/route.c