Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 18:01:24 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Modified pseudo-random distribution in NoelKDF

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 12:43:12PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> The original NoelKDF loop looked a bit like:
>
> v[0] = SHA256(password, salt)
> for i = 1 .. memlen-1
>     v[i] = H(v[i-1], v[rand() % i]
> output v[memlen-1]
>
> This has tons of issues, but it illustrates one themes I've kept so
> far in NoelKDF.  Each memory location (or "block" of memory locations)
> depends on the previous as well as a pseudo-random prior memory
> location (or block).
>
> My theory was that for attackers using much less than 1/4 of the
> memory in a TMTO would suffer a massive recomputation penalty.  It
> turns out that recomputations with this uniform distribution of edge
> lengths is not high enough.

Do you have specific numbers for the original approach above, and what
would be high enough (in your opinion)?

> So, I've modified the distribution to look like:
>
> v[0] = SHA256(password, salt)
> for i = 1 .. memlen-1
>     edgeLength = floor( (i - 1) * (pseudo-random value between 0 and 1) ^ 3 )
>     v[i] = H(v[i-1], v[i - edgeLength])
> output v[memlen-1]
>
> Basically, instead of a uniformly random edge lengths, I heavily
> weight edge length distribution to be shorter by cubing the random
> value between 0 and 1 before multiplying it by the memory position.
> This causes the sub-DAGs rooted at a random location to use more high
> memory locations, which in turn require more low memory locations.

This may be more effective against TMTO, but if it also brings the
distribution of random indices farther from uniform then it may be
benefiting attackers in that way (letting them efficiently use
different memory types for different sub-regions).  On the other hand,
as discussed before, "% i" also produces a non-uniform distribution,
skewed towards lower indices across all i's.  So part of your change is
compensating for that earlier non-uniformity, and that part may be good
irrespective of the effect on TMTO (nice bonus).

My sliding window approach has a similar effect, but I think yours is
more aggressive.  Have you tried estimating the TMTO resistance of my
sliding window approach?  That would be very helpful.

Alexander