Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 20:32:14 -0500
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] avoiding cache thrashing

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 06:25:24PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
>> A drawback of this workaround is that it effectively halves our usable
>> sizes of both caches.  What can we do about that?  Another workaround:
>> once in a while, alter our choice of address bit that we split the two
>> types of accesses on.
> [...]
>> amortize the cost of this AND in software, which is desirable since this
>> cost is fully avoided in ASIC.
>
> Correction: if we do alter the choice of our selector bit, then the mask
> is not entirely constant (some of its bits are, some are not), so its
> cost is no longer fully avoided in ASIC.  This is an additional slight
> benefit to altering the choice (and to using as wide a range of selector
> bits as practical).  (Although no longer being able to use an immediate
> value for the mask might have a cost in software, too - depending on
> architecture, available registers, specific CPU type.)
>
> I care about these minor costs because random L1 accesses need to be
> very frequent in order to match bcrypt's GPU unfriendliness.
>
> Alexander

This is some pretty mind blowing cache optimization.  I'm still trying
to get my head around it.  Are you doing huge numbers of small memory
authentications that run mostly out of L1 and L2 cache?  If it busted
out into main memory, would this scheme give the hardware prefetch
algorithms problems?

When I run on my son's quad-core 3.4GHz Ivy Bridge machine, with 4MB
and 8 threads, it does 154GiB/s of memory hashing bandwidth (hashing
4MiB, 10,000 times, 2 reads + 1 write each pass, .775s runtime).  4
threads do about 142GiB/s, and then it drops rapidly, and 1 thread
does 54GiB/s.  That's very close to 128 bits every clock, but with 1
thread I wouldn't expect many L1 misses.  With 4 threads, I get
142GiB/s rather than 4*54GiB/s = 216GiB/s.  Is this due to cache
pollution?  I was pretty happy to see 4 threads working that well in
parallel.  I put the 10,000 repeat loop around the block hash, and set
the block size to 4KiB, so each thread is hammering the same 4KiB over
and over most of the time.  It remains to be seen if the simple hash
I'm doing is strong enough, but it seems to hammer memory pretty well,
at least with low thread counts.  My thinking was that if I run just
large enough to bust out of GPU local memory, then these highly
repeated hashing loops should cause GPUs lots of memory access grief,
especially since 1/2 of the reads are randomized every 32 bytes, just
as you suggested (randomizing *prev rather than *from).  For some
reason, my rewrite of the code no longer suffers nearly as much from
the randomized prev reads... I am quite confused about that, but happy
the problem is gone.

I could probably use access to other machines now.  I feel like I'm
getting close to done optimizing for Ivy Bridge, and should take a
better look at AMD processors.  Also, my son's getting miffed that I
keep killing his MineCraft servers so I can do performance
benchmarking.  The ones I have access to at work are impressive
machines with 8 cores and 128GiB of RAM, but our sys admin runs such
an old version of Debian on it, gcc doesn't know how to use SSE, and
-O3 is buggy.  I can't get more than around 10 GiB/s main memory
bandwidth on it.  Even memmove is slow.

If your offer is still good, I'd appreciate a chance to play with an
AMD machine with some impressive memory bandwidth.

Bill