lists.openwall.net   lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  linux-hardening  PHC 
Open Source and information security mailing list archives
 
Hash Suite for Android: free password hash cracker in your pocket
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 05:59:16 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] avoiding cache thrashing

Bill,

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:32:14PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> This is some pretty mind blowing cache optimization.  I'm still trying
> to get my head around it.

I gave it a try, and it's not providing as much benefit as I had hoped
it would, on the Sandy Bridge machine I tested on.  The good news is
that this is because my code on SB is somehow not impacted too badly
even when I read the entire L2 without this trick.  Maybe the trick will
be more relevant on other CPUs or/and with tighter placed load and
compute instructions (and with little room for out-of-order), but I have
no time for such testing right now.

Here's some curious info I found in the process:

http://www.7-cpu.com and in particular:
http://www.7-cpu.com/cpu/SandyBridge.html
http://www.7-cpu.com/cpu/IvyBridge.html
http://www.7-cpu.com/cpu/Haswell.html

http://www.realworldtech.com/haswell-cpu/5/

http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=165
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/280663

Notice how with very tight read/compute, 2 MiB pages may be helpful even
starting with 256 KiB allocation (or even 128 KiB per thread!)  With my
code, I am not seeing the effect at sizes this low, perhaps because the
added latencies don't hurt it until they become bigger.

> Are you doing huge numbers of small memory
> authentications that run mostly out of L1 and L2 cache?

No, they are not that small.  I achieve sufficient throughput at sizes
of around 2 MiB, which exceeds L2 cache (256 KiB on SB).  However, I am
trying to specifically target L1 and L2 caches, in addition to L3 and
RAM.  There are S-boxes that fit in L2, and a portion of them that fits
in L1, with access sizes adjusted accordingly.  On Sandy Bridge, I am
testing with 16 byte wide random accesses for L1 and 64 byte for L2.

> If it busted
> out into main memory, would this scheme give the hardware prefetch
> algorithms problems?

I did not even try using this scheme on reads that were meant to be from
main memory.  (This would require gaps in a fairly large allocation,
thereby actually wasting a non-negligible amount of memory, unless the
selector bit altering approach is also implemented despite of its
drawback with multiple instances running.)  However, if I did I'd need
to choose the selector bit such that hardware prefetch would not fetch
the unneeded/conflicting cache lines too often.  This means using larger
continuous regions in each type of cache, perhaps 2 KiB.

> When I run on my son's quad-core 3.4GHz Ivy Bridge machine, with 4MB
> and 8 threads, it does 154GiB/s of memory hashing bandwidth (hashing
> 4MiB, 10,000 times, 2 reads + 1 write each pass, .775s runtime).  4
> threads do about 142GiB/s, and then it drops rapidly, and 1 thread
> does 54GiB/s.  That's very close to 128 bits every clock, but with 1
> thread I wouldn't expect many L1 misses.

These are very impressive speeds.  You're making it hard to compete with
you, in terms of bandwidth at least!

When you say "2 reads" each pass, are you counting even the reads from
the previous block, which is almost always still in L1 cache?  I am not
counting reads that are expected to be from L1 and L2 in the GB/s
figures I post so far.  This means reads from the previous block and
reads from the S-boxes are not counted.  Well, or maybe I should count
them separately, just to see how close (or not) I am getting to the
CPU's maximum L1 cache read bandwidth (I'd say not very close, since I'm
still doing more computation than you do).

Anyway, I am currently getting worse speeds than yours at memory sizes
this low (e.g. 1 MiB/thread * 4 threads, to test against your results),
but that's when I keep L1 S-box lookups and multiplies in there (and
don't count the S-box lookups towards bandwidth used).  Dropping the
multiplies brings the speeds to be on par with yours.  Dropping the L1
S-box lookups as well makes the speeds higher than yours, but that's not
fair comparison because you do have small random lookups (albeit not as
small: you said 256-bit, whereas I do 128-bit in these tests).

I think you actually have the multiplies in a separate thread.  I don't
do that because for many use cases we'll only have 1 thread/instance
(even if our caller may invoke our instances from multiple threads).
I did suggest doing the multiply-hardening in parallel with SSE memory
accesses, but I didn't mean threads.

> With 4 threads, I get
> 142GiB/s rather than 4*54GiB/s = 216GiB/s.  Is this due to cache
> pollution?

This may be due to a combination of many factors, including lower CPU
clock rate (you probably get 3.9 GHz for 1 thread and 3.7 GHz for 4+
threads) and maybe L3 cache bank conflicts.  If you're letting each
thread access anywhere within the 4 MiB region (rather than allocate
separate 1 MiB regions per thread), then there may also be a penalty for
reading from another core's L3 cache portion.

> I was pretty happy to see 4 threads working that well in
> parallel.  I put the 10,000 repeat loop around the block hash, and set
> the block size to 4KiB, so each thread is hammering the same 4KiB over
> and over most of the time.

Oh.  Were your high speeds for L1 cache only, then?!  I thought L3.
I ran my 4-thread benchmarks mentioned above on the whole escrypt, with
only the data mixing function tweaked in different ways (for higher
speed at these unusually low memory sizes).

> It remains to be seen if the simple hash
> I'm doing is strong enough, but it seems to hammer memory pretty well,
> at least with low thread counts.  My thinking was that if I run just
> large enough to bust out of GPU local memory, then these highly
> repeated hashing loops should cause GPUs lots of memory access grief,
> especially since 1/2 of the reads are randomized every 32 bytes, just
> as you suggested (randomizing *prev rather than *from).

I think the only reason why this may "cause GPUs lots of memory access
grief" is because you have those randomized small reads.  Without them,
the above doesn't sound GPU-resistant.  Remember, Litecoin does "bust
out of GPU local memory", yet there's the usual 10x to 20x speedup at
Litecoin when going from CPU to GPU.

> I could probably use access to other machines now.  I feel like I'm
> getting close to done optimizing for Ivy Bridge, and should take a
> better look at AMD processors.  Also, my son's getting miffed that I
> keep killing his MineCraft servers so I can do performance
> benchmarking.  The ones I have access to at work are impressive
> machines with 8 cores and 128GiB of RAM, but our sys admin runs such
> an old version of Debian on it, gcc doesn't know how to use SSE, and
> -O3 is buggy.  I can't get more than around 10 GiB/s main memory
> bandwidth on it.  Even memmove is slow.
> 
> If your offer is still good, I'd appreciate a chance to play with an
> AMD machine with some impressive memory bandwidth.

My offer is still good, but we don't have "an AMD machine with some
impressive memory bandwidth".  Our only AMD machine for this is FX-8120
with two DDR3-1600 sticks - IIRC, you already have access to something
very similar.  So my offer is about access to Haswell, Sandy Bridge-EP
(16 cores, 32 threads, 128 GiB RAM as 8x DDR3-1600, several compiler
versions installed), Xeon Phi 5110P, assorted GPUs.  I'll e-mail you
about setting up your accounts.

Alexander

Powered by blists - more mailing lists