Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 22:44:11 -0400
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Transforming hash to different cost setting

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Just don't approximate area-time as "peak memory usage * time" for the
> whole upgraded hash, because its memory usage drops back to zero on each
> upgrade, whereas a never-upgraded hash's memory usage is monotonically
> non-decreasing.  We need to compare the area below those "curves", but
> they're of different shape, so we can't make conclusions on how the area
> differs by looking only at the peak.
>
> Here are the numbers:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.phc/504/focus=639
>
> Alexander

I was afraid you were integrating the memory*time rather than just
using peak memory * time.  A sophisticated attacker would do this.
This applies to integrated memory*time performance of our memory
hashing algorithms as well.  Script has the best integrated potential
performance possible of algorithms that start from scratch (no shared
ROMs), doing a pure write loop followed by a pure read loop.

I thought a bit about algorithms in between those like TwoCats and
Script.  Could we get TMTO resistance hashing the prior block with a
much smaller random previous block of memory?  That would give us
closer to Scrypt average time*memory performance, while still creating
difficulties for an attacker doing a TMTO.  In the first cache-timing
resistant loop, this fails because an attacker could just keep the
small blocks of memory he knows will be accessed, but in the
unpredictable loop, it seems to work.  There is also a problem reading
small random blocks because cache miss penalties could limit the time
saved making the prior random block small.

A possible solution is to hash the immediately prior block with a
small pseudo-random block determined in the previous block hashing
cycle, so we can prefetch the small prior block in time for hashing it
in this cycle.

It's probably a good thing there's not much time left in the PHC
contest for testing out such ideas.  I'm way behind at work!

Bill