Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 21:23:24 +0200
From: Krisztián Pintér <pinterkr@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] babbling about trends

Thomas Pornin (at Thursday, April 3, 2014, 7:48:08 PM):

> RAM _latency_, on the other hand, does not drop fast.

i'm not 100% well informed (=0% informed) about the differences
between cache and RAM.

but i dare to bold-guess that cache can grow to eventually eliminate
the need for anything else.

> and we must admit
> that parallelism has, for now, more slowly crept under the door than
> exploded.

i don't know about that, i'm not the NSA, and i have more than 200,
well okay, not cores, but pipelines in my pc. but that is what i see
in the future. CPUs don't have to be smart, we have smart compilers
instead. in fact, i believe compiler writers would thank for simpler
instruction set, so they could have simpler optimizers. so what if the
GPU approach eventually wins? i'm no expert though.