Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:07:34 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Best use of ROM in password hashing

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 11:22:59AM -0400, Bill Cox wrote:
> Using large ROMs for authentication servers is brilliant.  It is pretty
> hard to steal a TiB or more without being noticed, and if an attacker does
> not have a copy of the ROM, he's stopped cold.

This is only one of the aspects of the original ROM idea.  Besides
stealing the ROM, which may happen, there's the issue of otherwise
suitable attack nodes possibly not having enough of fast enough storage
locally to them to use their own copies of the ROM and the issue of
distributing the ROM to attack nodes, or the issue of having attack
nodes access a remote ROM.

yescrypt's use of RAM+ROM at once is meant in part to increase cost of
accessing a higher latency remote ROM, by tying up RAM (or some of
whatever local read-write storage the attack nodes have) for almost each
pending request to the remote ROM.  (I say "almost" because the first
ROM lookup per hash computation happens before there's much RAM usage,
unless ROM lookups in SMix1 are disabled by setting the mask that way.)

ROM-in-RAM (such as the 112 GiB I was testing with) can be viewed as an
anti-botnet feature.  It's not that large that it won't be stolen, but
it can be large enough to buy a few years of botnet resistance.  It's
practical to keep authentication servers' current ROM-in-RAM (for newly
set/changed passwords) 16+ times higher than a typical botnet node's RAM
size - e.g., it can be 128 GiB in server vs. 16 GiB or less in typical
botnet nodes now.  (I don't know what their actual RAM sizes are now.
I guess typical is actually below 16 GiB at this time, although newly
added computers probably do have 16 or 32 GiB of RAM now.)

ROM-on-SSD can be similar, or its size can be expanded much further in
attempt to also make it hard to steal.  Jeremy uses 16 TB, which might
currently work in terms of detection of attempts to steal it over the
network, if bandwidth usage monitoring is in place.  Stealing a copy of
a ROM physically is another matter.

> How should ROM data best be combined with password hashing?  This is
> probably something Alexander is a couple of years ahead of me on, but I'm
> having some fun thinking about this after doing some more EARWORM
> benchmarks.

I'm not sure how far ahead I am, but yes I did think of this before, and
yescrypt's ROM support is based on some of that thinking.

> The problem with large ROMs is that an attacker can split them into many
> small ROMs.  If the data routing problem this creates is cheap enough in
> time and cost, this can be a win for an attacker.

Sure.

> Because of this, I
> prefer bandwidth runtime hardening with RAM, where we fill the RAM and read
> from it pseudo-randomly, based on the password.

While I also prefer simultaneous use of a RAM and a ROM, I don't see how
it's closely related to possible splitting of the ROM by attackers.

My reasons to also use a RAM:

1. Have scrypt-like lower bound on area-time.  Don't depend solely on
ROM bandwidth for it (which is not clearly translated to die area).

2. Have area-time cost increase along with ROM access latency, via tying
up more RAM instances.  This discourages remote/networked ROMs.

Were you possibly referring to an instance of #2, where an attack node
wouldn't have its own copy of the full ROM and would have to incur
latency of accessing another node's portion of the ROM?

> Still, the benefits of a large ROM are undeniable.  What if we wrapped a
> memory-hard PHS with something like:
>
> 1) Start reading random location on N TiB hard-disk based on PRK =
> H(passwordLen || password || saltLen || salt)?
> 2) In parallel, do some bandwidth limited memory-hard hashing to produce
> PRK2 = MemoryHash(PRK)
> 3) return H(PRK2 || ROM[PRK % ROMLEN])
>
> This still requires that an attacker have the ROM, and allows us to use
> cheap hard-disks for storage of the ROM data.  Perhaps an attacker could
> buy a big SSD and squash the access time, and share the SSD among many
> guessing cores, but who cares?  The algorithm is still memory bandwidth
> hardened, which seems stronger than ROM bandwidth hardening.

Moreover, it can also be computation time hardened, tying up the RAM
even if it's higher bandwidth RAM than the defender had used.  Moving
from defender's HDDs to attacker's SSDs is still a win for the attacker,
because they'd be able to speed things up by providing more computation
resources, RAM size, and RAM bandwidth accordingly.  While staying with
HDDs, they would not be able to put those extra resources to use.

> How would that compare against a PHS that intermixes hashing ROM data and
> RAM data?

yescrypt lets you set the mask such that the ROM access is one-shot, and
that one access happens early on (or you can have it happen half way
through computation, with a different mask setting).  However, further
computation in yescrypt depends on the looked up value, so it stalls
until the ROM access is complete.  Compared to your algorithm above,
this means that the defender's latency per hash computation may be up to
twice higher, and the defender will need more concurrent instances to
compensate for the stalls.  In terms of throughput, which is what
matters most, it'd be the same as yours.

I think it's better to include multiple ROM lookups per hash computation
if at all possible.  This discourages attack nodes that have only a
portion of the ROM available to them locally.  The defender's cost is in
that the defender will need to use SSDs or RAM, rather than HDDs.  As to
stalls of defenders' hash computations, I think they're acceptable,
since the typical target for throughput on this sort of authentication
servers is high enough that the latency is low in terms of user
perception even with latency of multiple ROM-on-SSD lookups included.
(The number of lookups should be adjusted such that the target
throughput is achieved.  In yescrypt, it's controlled via the mask.)
The latency is somewhat unfortunate in terms of request queue size
growth on other servers, but even with full overlap of ROM lookups and
computation inside each hash computation the latency would be at best
twice lower, so there's not that much room for improvement here.

Alexander