Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:59:39 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Best use of ROM in password hashing

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 04:24:38PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> You cannot generate that TiB algoritmically and keep the algorithm
> around, that would defeat the purpose, it has to be based on
> randomness.

The above is true only for a rather narrow definition of "the purpose".

Even with the ROM generated algorithmically and even with the seed
having been stolen, there's still a penalty on attack nodes that don't
have that much fast local storage available to them.

yescrypt's current ROM initialization algorithm is meant to work for the
anti-botnet purpose (with botnet nodes much smaller then the defender's
authentication servers), even if the seed is stolen.

[ As a bonus, it also limits the ability to reconstruct the entire ROM
from a partial stolen ROM, in case an attacker only manages to steal a
part of the ROM and not the seed.  Specifically, reconstruction is
possible given 1/2 of the ROM, but not given significantly less than 1/2.
There's room for improvement here (can bring it closer to requiring the
full ROM for reconstruction).  I expect that a typical setup would have
some privsep between ROM-in-RAM initialization (done on authentication
server bootup) and the authentication service.  For example, the
included initrom demo program would run as a pseudo-user different from
the one that the userom demo program would run as.  Indeed, this sort of
privsep local to an authentication server is quite weak (a local root
bug would bypass it, unless the attacker only had Heartbleed-like access
to the authentication service, in which case we're "fine"), but it's a
nice extra nevertheless.  An attacker with only the ROM itself and not
the seed would have to distribute half the ROM size to attack nodes to
make them useful.  Not a major obstacle, but a cost component nevertheless. ]

> Unless you want to dedicate a TB on each and every server, you have
> to either make the ROM available across the network or use a centralized
> authentication server.

No problem having 128 GiB RAM per authentication server.  It even costs
~4x less than the rest of the hardware in those servers (so 1/5 of the
total hardware cost).  Currently, 128 GiB RAM costs about as much as one
8-core or better E5-2600 series CPU, and you'd put two of those CPUs in
a server.  Plus the chassis, PSUs, and motherboard cost about as much as
the two CPUs do.

Yet this little cost increase deals with the botnet threat for a few
years.  (And I expect that similar ratios will be valid later, just not
the same hardware.)

> Making it available across the network opens it for theft from any
> compromised system, whereas a central authentication server comes
> with its own problems in the form of passwords being sent across
> networks etc.

For the ROM, I am considering primarily use cases where there are
already central authentication server(s).  Most likely many of them.

> That makes a 1TB ROM economically unfeasible, except in installations
> which should have known better than to rely on passwords to begin with.

Oh.  Really?  I think you're wrong about both of these points.

You expect e.g. the major social networks would fully abandon passwords
in the next few years?  I don't.

What about banks?  Even if they don't "rely" on passwords, they should
nevertheless continue to use passwords as one of the authentication
factors.

> So, yeah, nice in theory, in practice not so much...

Everything has its limitations.  I think there are realistic use cases
here, and I think we'll see deployments soon.

> That said, an algorithm which can use a ROM sensibly gets a plus
> in my book, and another plus if it leaves the size/benefit determination
> to the administrator.

OK, we're in agreement here.  In yescrypt, the ROM is optional, its size
is tunable, and its access frequency is tunable (thus, the device type
can vary e.g. between RAM, SSD, HDD, and arrays of these).

> Thinking a bit creatively:
>
> A USB stick with an ARM chip can be made for less than $10 in volume.
>
> Putting the entire hashing algoritm on that ARM, including a modest
> size random ROM, even as little as 8K, and offloading all password
> hashing (but not salt generation) to that ARM chip via the USB port,
> means that the ROM can only be stolen by physical access.
>
> And best of all: If you need to hash more passwords than the ARM
> will do, you can just plug in another.

Sure, but there's no benefit from a ROM lookup table here.  Just one
non-retrievable crypto key is enough.  It's just an HSM, much like
YubiHSM (priced at $500, but that's still "low" for HSMs).  In my YaC
2012 talk, I suggested using YubiHSM's HMAC function for that.  I now
think that using YubiHSM (or any decent HSM) to reversibly encrypt
hashes could work better, in that it allows for changing of the key.
(Which would need to be backed up e.g. on paper in a physical safe.)

> That's probably what I would do, if I were in charge of a big site
> relying on passwords today...

I had discussed pros and cons of the HSM vs. ROM-in-RAM vs. ROM-on-SSD
approaches, and their combinations, with a big site.  Their current
preference is ROM-in-RAM, mostly for the ease of logistics.  I expect
that this will vary, though.

Alexander