Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 15:39:58 +0200
From: Thomas Pornin <pornin@...et.org>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] A review per day - Schvrch

On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 02:32:16PM +0200, Krisztián Pintér wrote:
> 1. no, at this stage, we don't need input checking at all. this is not
> a library, but a reference. that is, documentation of the algorithm.

Unfortunately, there are people who are using such reference code "as
is", as if it was, indeed, a library. This is misguided in several ways;
in particular, cryptographic algorithms should never be deployed
anywhere until some considerable peer-review has occurred -- which is
the point of the PHC. However, so it is.

Therefore, why I agree with you that input checking is not _necessary_
at this point (and thus should not be a requirement for authors), it is
still a desirable thing, if it can be done easily, as is the case here.

In fact, one may argue that if the reference code serves as documentation
for the algorithm, then it would be best if it _also_ documented the
algorithm's limitations on input password size. In the case of Schvrch,
this would be done like this:

    if (inlen > 256) {
            return -1;
    }

just before the memmove(). That way, everybody is happy: there is some
input validation which avoids a buffer overflow, and the 256-byte limit
is "documented" by an explicit piece of code.

> 2, even in a library, i suggest using only assert-s, if at all. such a
> low level subprogram does not have any better means of communicating
> an error condition that should not happen in the first place.

In the case of PHS(), it is defined as returning a status code (an
"int"), so it has a way to report an error condition after all.

Whether libraries should report abnormal input data with error codes or
through more drastic measures (asserts, abort() calls...) is debatable,
and indeed it is an old and ongoing debate. However, the PHS() API
designers followed the "error code" path, so we may as well roll with
it.

On a more general basis, complete input validation can be hard, because
C has a few nasty pitfalls. For instance, consider this line, again
from Schvrch:

    memcost = (m_cost + 1) * statelen;

memcost is an "uint64_t", but m_cost is an "unsigned", and statelen is
an "int". The C rules mandate that the multiplication will be done with
the "unsigned" type (theoretically, it could be done with type "int" on
an architecture with, say, a 16-bit "unsigned" and a 17-bit "int"; but I
have never encountered such a system in practice). So, on a typical
system (including PC, in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes), the "memcost"
will never exceed 2^32, and, counterintuitively, it may be truncated
silently. For instance, if you call PHS() with m_cost == 16777216, you
end up with the same actual memory cost as if you had used m_cost == 0.
This can be viewed as undesirable. Indeed, the Schvrch designers have
apparently envisioned that the "memcost" could exceed 2^32, since they
used a 64-bit type, but the actual computation truncates values to 32
bits.

Production-ready code (that we do NOT insist on having right now) would
have to include proper casts and checks here. Right now, this kind of
issue could bite researchers (i.e., us) if, for instance, we try to do
some benchmarking with huge RAM. We could be _thinking_ that we are
trying out the function with 4 GB memory cost, and instead end up using
the function with 256-byte cost.

Thus, while input validation is not strictly required, it is still good
to have, even for research purposes.

	--Thomas Pornin