Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 00:54:03 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Updated tests document

Milan,

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 11:10:27PM +0200, Milan Broz wrote:
> I updated PHC candidates test output for the previously discussed tests
>
>   https://github.com/mbroz/PHCtest/blob/master/output/phc_round2.pdf
>
> - added "normalized" test from tables in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.phc/2550
> - fixed Lyra2 to us just one thread
> - added memory/time combined chart
> - added Argon2 git versions (just for comparison)
> - added more functions to KDF example
>
> Otherwise it is kept in the same format.

This is good stuff.  Thank you!

When you provide speeds for "Reference" implementations, in yescrypt's
case is this -ref or -opt?  I ask since yescrypt is unusual in providing
3 implementations currently: -ref (not for use at all, beyond testing),
-opt (for non-SIMD builds), and -simd (for SIMD builds).

If -ref starts being benchmarked, this gets me thinking that maybe I
should drop it in favor of -opt. ;-)  But that's counterproductive in
terms of providing an implementation that is easier to read and is more
self-contained (-ref does not use the yescrypt-platform.c functions,
whereas -opt and -simd do).

I think it makes more sense to list speeds for non-SIMD vs. SIMD builds,
because non-SIMD builds may actually be in use (e.g., if someone builds
a program that is meant to be portable to older CPUs).

yescrypt-ref.c even has:

$ fgrep warning yescrypt-ref.c
#warning "This reference implementation is deliberately mostly not optimized. Use yescrypt-best.c instead unless you're testing (against) the reference implementation on purpose."

which gets printed during build.  I think it's not the same kind of
thing as other candidates' non-SIMD implementations.  -opt is more
similar to those.

Alexander