Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 05:33:18 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] enhancing Argon2 (was: Competition process)

Dmitry,

I ended up writing a lengthy reply.  I hope you find it more useful than
time-consuming. ;-)

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:08:42PM +0200, Dmitry Khovratovich wrote:
> First, I would like to better understand your reasoning of having
> S-boxes. For me, S-boxes in such ARX schemes look quite ad-hoc, and I
> want to get the right reason before introducing them.

This scheme isn't ARX.  It is more similar to Blowfish than to ARX,
although it's also significantly different from Blowfish.  Here we have
MUL-ADD-XOR with inputs to ADD and XOR involving S-box lookups.  In
Blowfish, we have ADD-XOR-ADD with all of the inputs coming from S-box
lookups.  Either way, the combination is intended to be non-linear.

Should I coin MAX for MUL-ADD-XOR?  Maybe this construction is MAXFORM?

A design goal is that multiple sequential rounds shouldn't be
efficiently computable with a shortcut, including with table lookups.
While a straightforward 64-bit to 64-bit table lookup is impractical,
there could theoretically be some combination of much smaller table
lookups and XORs that would compute multiple sequential rounds within a
practical amount of memory and at a lower latency.  I feel that the
64-bit lookups from variable S-boxes provide much greater assurance than
e.g. use of some constants or single variables in the ADD and XOR.
(This also means that weak S-boxes are possible, but are likely
sufficiently uncommon not to matter for this application.)

ADD goes right after MUL to take advantage of fused multiply-add
instructions, such as one available on ARM.  It's 32x32->64 MUL and
64-bit ADD in one instruction on 32-bit ARM:

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0068b/CIHBJEHG.html

"The UMLAL instruction interprets the values from Rm and Rs as unsigned
integers.  It multiplies these integers, and adds the 64-bit result to
the 64-bit unsigned integer contained in RdHi and RdLo."

> So my questions are:
> 1) Are S-boxes only an anti-GPU countermeasure?

Mostly yes, but not only.  They also help achieve the design goal above,
and they provide additional latency guarantee, changing it from MUL
alone to max(MUL, LUT).

> As I understand, they
> should not be problem for FPGA and ASICs where the small-size S-boxes
> can be fit into the low-latency memory. Glanced at your recent
> bcrypt-FPGA paper, I suppose that FPGA would be a reasonable choice
> for any attacker and almost any scheme. If yes, then why bothering
> with S-boxes?

For the reasons above.  GPU attacks may be relevant even in presence of
FPGAs and ASICs.  Some attackers might readily have some GPUs, or prefer
to invest in reusable equipment rather than into ASICs.  They are not
necessarily starting from a pile of dollars that they'd want to
optimally spend to attack one hash.

GPUs might (or might not) be a better investment than FPGAs for a
variety of reasons, including:

Relative ease of development for GPUs, and hence expected support for
more target hashes and ciphers.

GPU boards with high off-chip memory bandwidth (which would be needed to
attack the whole Argon2) are likely currently cheaper (at least in small
quantities) than FPGA boards with comparable bandwidth.

Also, memory in a given FPGA might (or might not) turn out to be the
scarcest resource, limiting the number of instances that will fit per
chip.  Even in our experiments with bcrypt, we did end up bumping into
the number of ports to Block RAMs.  With more Block RAMs, we could
potentially optimize our combinational logic, state machine, and
communication further and fit slightly more instances per chip.

Some kind of reusable ASICs are likely for well-funded attackers, but
these might be similar to GPUs or FPGAs in some aspects, including in
their local memory amount and number of ports.  If the balance between
computing resources in a chip fits one target (e.g. some hash or cipher)
optimally, it might not fit another (e.g. Argon2) nearly as optimally.

> 2) If my logic is wrong, then how many S-box lookups per memory block
> (or per CPU cycle?) would you want?

I am trying to match bcrypt's rate of S-box lookup groups when bcrypt
vs. our replacement (such as yescrypt or the modified Argon2) are used
defensively on the same machine.  By "lookup groups" I mean the lookups
that may occur in parallel in a single defensive instance.  For
Blowfish, each group consists of 4 lookups (in one Blowfish round).
For current yescrypt defaults, it's 8.  For my Argon2 hack, it's 2.

The frequency of such S-box group lookups may need to be divided by the
increase in total size of S-boxes per instance of the hash.  We went up
from Blowfish's 4 KB to 8 KB in both yescrypt and Argon2 hack.  This
logic is valid for yescrypt, where also the total number of accesses to
S-boxes increased (since 8 are performed in parallel).  However, in the
Argon2 hack the number of parallel lookups has decreased from 4 to 2, so
the increase in S-box size does not necessarily allow us to make the
group lookups twice less frequent than bcrypt's and still be assured
we're at least as anti-GPU as bcrypt is.  The increase in width of S-box
lookups from 32-bit in Blowfish to 128-bit in yescrypt and 64-bit in the
Argon2 hack might or might not help.  From what I know about AMD GCN, it
should help there as the local memory ports used for gather loads appear
to be 32-bit.  Our 2 64-bit lookups should be almost as good as
Blowfish's 4 32-bit ones.  But that's just one GPU family.  Things may
be different on others, and possibly not in our favor.  Luckily, we'd
typically bump into the local memory size as well, so the increase in
the total size of S-boxes should compensate for the decrease in
frequency anyway, even if wider gather loads are supported.  (On AMD
GCN, bcrypt uses only 1/4 of the computing resources as it bumps into
local memory size first.  It'd be similar here.)

Also, the frequency of individual S-box lookups (not of groups) should
ideally match bcrypt's, to be as resistant to GPU global memory attacks
as bcrypt is.

So I am not going from per-block or per-cycle numbers, although I
suppose I could derive those and then try to achieve them.  Rather, I am
running bcrypt vs. the alternative on the same machine, and counting the
above figures for them.

For current yescrypt:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.phc/2716/focus=2721

For old, in-development yescrypt (prior to PHC submission), which wasn't
good enough in this respect:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.phc/959/focus=1009

I assume that if Argon2 with my hack is similar speed to yescrypt (and
it appears so from Milan's benchmarks), then having as many S-box lookup
groups as in yescrypt should do the trick for GPU local memory attacks.
Unfortunately, it would still be 4x worse for GPU global memory attacks,
but luckily in an attack on Argon2 there would be other uses for the
global memory bandwidth as well, and there appears to be a 2x to 4x gap
between local and global memory attack speed on bcrypt on recent GPUs.

This is why I set the number of un-pwxform rounds per 1 KB block to be
the same as yescrypt's current default.  Since I have 16 64-byte
sub-blocks, and you have 16 BLAKE2b's, this amounts to 6 rounds per
either yescrypt's sub-block or Argon2's BLAKE2b.

Thinking of CPU attacks, though, maybe the default for Argon2 should be
lower.  (These attacks are slightly less relevant in yescrypt, which has
pwxform on SIMD units.)  In yescrypt, going from 6 to 4 pwxform rounds
reduced the S-box lookup rate only slightly (by 14% on FX-8120 at 2 MB).
Perhaps it's similar for Argon2.  So this may be acceptable.

> Maybe there can be an elegant solution then?

I find what I currently have quite elegant.

A couple of things I failed to fit in, though:

1. "Odd" total S-box sizes such as 12 KB or 24 KB while maintaining
uniform access.  This would better use typical L1 caches.  I tried to
use 3 S-boxes to achieve this, but that was ugly and inefficient in
other ways (e.g., it takes longer to sequentially apply 3 lookup results
than 2, so the multiply latency hardening is less), so I dropped it.

2. Use of the current block being processed for the S-boxes.  This has
some advantages, such as the S-boxes being even more variable without
having to make any extra writes (and extra writes are potentially bad,
considering systems with write-through caches).  Unfortunately, the
current block is typically too small (we want 8 KB or 12 KB for the
S-boxes, but the block is 1 KB for other reasons), and the resulting
data dependencies from the current block updates in the same function
may make the code slower (they limit instruction scheduling).

3. Use of the beginning of the memory region for the S-boxes.  Such as V
in yescrypt or "memory" in Argon2.  This also has aliasing issues
similar to the above.  Even if we carefully tell the compiler about the
danger, there's still potential performance impact from worse
instruction scheduling.  Another difficulty is the chicken-egg problem
on the first few blocks (do we memset() them to some value initially?)

4. Have the S-boxes slowly overwritten, much like in bcrypt.  This adds
complexity and isn't essential for anti-GPU, but it helps against
garbage collector attacks on the S-boxes.  (In yescrypt, I chose to deal
with those differently.)

I think trying to solve these would result in uglier spec and code, but
you should try solving #4.

> Apart from S-boxes, the most natural way to increase the latency would
> be chaining the Blake permutations and integrating high-latency
> operations into them. It is a good question how to chain properly, and
> we are still working on it.

Yes, but if you try to fit S-box lookups into the chain that you'd have
on the SIMD units while also keeping everything that you currently have,
you'd incur much bigger performance impact.  In yescrypt, the SIMD units
do nothing but pwxform most of the time.  In Argon2, you'd have modified
BLAKE2b and something similar to pwxform competing for them.

Also, keeping the non-tradeoff latency hardening chain separate from the
BLAKE2b rounds allows to (fine-)tune the latency with just one
parameter, the un-pwxform rounds count.  You do not need to implement a
chain between the BLAKE2b rounds then.  (Optimized implementations will
probably have e.g. 2 or 4 versions of the function, though - for
different round counts.  Perhaps reducing the source code size with a
function inlining and switch trick similar to what TwoCats used.)

> Regarding your benchmarks, the impact of extra operations on 8 threads
> is so low, I guess, because the bottleneck is the memory bandwidth
> rather than the CPU.

Right.  I expect the impact at low m_cost (where all or a significant
portion of memory fits in a cache) to be much worse.  We need to run
such benchmarks as well, and then decide on the un-pwxform rounds count.
I actually thought of having it vary by m_cost in yescrypt, but decided
against that so far because it would be non-intuitive.  So I think a
single default should be chosen for Argon2 as well.

> We thank you again for the patches, but just want to think a bit more
> on the most optimal update.

You're welcome.  And yes, it helps to think of this some more.

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 8:41 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > Since we have 8 parallel BLAKE2b's, it may be elegant to split our
> > 64-bit chain as 8 one-byte inputs/outputs into each BLAKE2b (perhaps in
> > addition to using 32-bit values in state[0] and state[63]).  We could
> > also merge them in-between the two groups of 8 BLAKE2b's.  Would this
> > help increase the latency of tradeoff attacks?  Without thinking of this
> > much yet, my gut feeling is that it won't, but it'd be some additional
> > state information that is normally not stored, and that the tradeoff
> > attacks will need to store (or they'd in fact incur a latency increase).
> > Very little of it, though.  So probably not worth the overhead.  Yet I
> > thought I'd bring this up for discussion.
>
> This discussion needs drawing and thinking. Ideally I would want a
> tradeoff-resistant solution
> be understandable just in mind, without pen and paper.

I agree.

> > To increase the latency of tradeoff attacks, I think BlaMka may be used
> > (along with an un-pwxform chain like this, which serves its different
> > purpose - hardening non-tradeoff latency and providing some anti-GPU).
>
> If using BlaMka, why extra xform chain?

Mostly for the anti-GPU.

Also, in pwxform I tried to maximize the per-bit latency (so that one
round's highest latency output bits are needed by the next round early).
I haven't looked into how optimal or not BLAKE2b's rotate counts happen
to be in this respect (and adjusting them may be bad).

Finally, I suspect the extra chain might allow for a higher number of
sequential multiplies than BlaMka for the same Argon2 performance.  The
instruction issue rate for scalar units may be higher than for SIMD, and
the multiply-hardening rounds may be more closely packed together in
un-pwxform than in BlaMka.  (I think TwoCats might have had this sort of
advantage over yescrypt, although this was in part because TwoCats had
only multiplies, and not S-box lookups, on the scalar chain.)

Alexander