Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 10:52:40 +0000
From: Peter Gutmann <pgut001@...auckland.ac.nz>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: RE: [PHC] Specification of a modular crypt format (2)

Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com> writes:

>Yes, I know, but it's too late, harm is already done. If you evaluate "value
>* 10" somewhere then a compiler can assume that "value <= INT_MAX / 10" and
>use this to optimize the following code.

That would appear to be a violation of sequence point constraints.  Now given
that you mention gcc later on, and that's an apparent source of endless
optimiser bugs (I have more workarounds for gcc bugs in my code than all other
compilers combined, going back to VC++ 6.0 from 1998), it wouldn't surprise me
if it did that, but there's a limit to how far you can go to work around buggy
compilers, particularly if you can't predict the bugs in advance.  Thus my
somewhat conservative programming style, I have huge numbers of preconditions,
postconditions, and invariants in my code that should be no-ops, but it's
surprising what they've caught at times (mostly in gcc-compiled code, their
ingenious remove-checks-for-null-pointers optimisation is particularly
clever).

>Another example -- the following program will happily print negative number
>even though it specifically checks against it:

I'm not enough of a language lawyer to figure out the legalities around going
via the unsigned short, but I'm guessing there's something in the annotations
to the appendix to the apocrypha to C99 that says this is supposed to happen.
This is why I always use signed ints everywhere, you get overflows, but you
can easily check for those, rather than getting code that looks like it should
do A but actually does B.

Peter.