Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 17:08:15 -0700
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] An API for Efficiently Obtaining t_cost

Some entries (I think including Yescrypt and TwoCats) do something similar,
and provide estimated parameters to meet your time goal.  These tools take
a max_memory and target_time parameters.  The more typical case is that we
cannot fill as much memory as you would like for a given target time. so
t_cost is set to the minimum value, and an m_cost parameter is suggested to
target the desired runtime.  In rare cases, you want to fill memory and
keep rehashing, in which case m_cost is set to max_mem and t_cost is
adjusted accordingly.

I have yet to see an actual deployment making use of more than the minimum
t_cost parameter in any application, so I'm not a fan of that parameter,
but it's there, and both m_cost and t_cost should be suggested for Argon2.
I suspect their team already has something like this in the works.  They
are welcome to look at my code in twocats-common.c to see what I did.

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped