Date: Sat Sep 10 02:21:57 2005
From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Top posting [was: MM - #$%@ Kill Google!]

Dee Holtsclaw wrote:

> It's also quite a pain to inline post for those unfortunates stuck with
> BillCo's LookOut! The quote formatting in many versions tends to get confused
> when you try to insert new text and you often end up with a tangled mess.

So the rest of us should "suffer" to make life easier for people stupid
enough to use about the crappiest MUA ever made?

Gimme a break...

If you "have to" use Outlook and thus properly quoting and trimming
your messages is "too hard", just go boil your head, or at least be
polite enough to the rest of us to simply not post.

The abortion that is message quoting and top-posting in Outlook is
largely due to an over-zealous approach to its early design to make it
even shittier than Lotus Notes was.  Given that, it is outstandingly
successful, but is utter rubbish for use in traditional threaded
mailing list conversations which require an entirely different approach
and mindset for _efficient_ information exchange and debate.

Top-posted, non-inline replies are fine for typical "corporate" Email
exchanges where it is commonly the case that a single, and usually
simple, issue is at hand: