Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 20:09:47 +0000
From: Greg Zaverucha <gregz@...rosoft.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: RE: [PHC] What Microsoft Would like from the PHC - Passwords14
 presentation

Hi Alexander, thanks for your comments!

To your first comment (security with low memory), this is a good point, one we hadn't discussed.  In the comparison, candidates were marked Yes for "use cases" if it was technically possible to use them in each use case.  The goal was to quickly identify candidates for a second round of deeper analysis (including security).

In terms of side-channels, candidates were marked "Yes" if this was a design goal and/or no obvious timing channels exist.  A proper evaluation of this criteria requires more time than I had available to spend on each candidate.  So a "Yes" isn't a guarantee of side-channel resistance, just that it is potentially side-channel resistant (this was in my notes, but didn't make it to the slides, unfortunately).    For Pufferfish v0, I didn't see any data-dependent branches, memory accesses, or variable time operations, and the authors make no claims and provide no analysis.

Greg